Where around Portland can I get an authentic Altbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know of any microbreweries or breweries off hand that might have one on tap. Besides they all tend to put their own spin on classic styles.
But Belmont Station has 1000 bottled beers, and John's Market in Multnomah Village also has huge variety.

Agreed, most have their own versions, I know widmer had one on tap back in July. Try searching beeradvocate or use Google "altbier portland beeradvocate"

Yeah, Widmer gasthaus usually has it on tap. I'm not sure if it's dusseldorf style but it's a good alt. Might be worth a phone call to make sure it's pouring.

You can always check out www.taplister.com for beers on tap around Portland, or search by bar to find out if they have one on tap.
Widmer has their Alt on tap usually at their Gasthaus.
Belmont Station or Beermongers are great bottle shops, and you can check their inventories online.

They're tough to find. Not many are imported and the American versions are less than authentic. A friend's wife is from Dusseldorf, so the two of them are always trying the various beers that claim to be alts and none have satisfied them. They like the Uerige, but prefer Diebels - actually they prefer the local stuff you can't get in bottles/cans. I've brewed this style each of the past 3 winters (this year's is currently in the fermenter). It's nice having true experts on hand to tell me how it tastes! So far, my first two attempts were met with praise, but I'm still tweaking things. I'm hoping that this year's will be the best yet.

They're tough to find. Not many are imported and the American versions are less than authentic. A friend's wife is from Dusseldorf, so the two of them are always trying the various beers that claim to be alts and none have satisfied them. They like the Uerige, but prefer Diebels - actually they prefer the local stuff you can't get in bottles/cans. I've brewed this style each of the past 3 winters (this year's is currently in the fermenter). It's nice having true experts on hand to tell me how it tastes! So far, my first two attempts were met with praise, but I'm still tweaking things. I'm hoping that this year's will be the best yet.

JLem is correct. It is very hard to find an authentic Alt anywhere other than Germany. Even the bottled imports taste different than the stuff at the source. Generally what you will find will be WAY too sweet. The real stuff is malty, but not really sweet at all.

Try John's Marketplace or John's Market (don't know the name exactly). It's in SW Portland. Multnomah Blvd. Their selection is huge! It used to be a neighborhood grocery store but now it's pretty much just beer and wine (mainly beer).

Try John's Marketplace or John's Market (don't know the name exactly). It's in SW Portland. Multnomah Blvd. Their selection is huge! It used to be a neighborhood grocery store but now it's pretty much just beer and wine (mainly beer).

John's Market would be the last place I'd go to get a bottle. They have horrible storage and regular put out extremely old beer. Belmont Station is much better.

Back