Where are the fruity esters coming from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolcats

Reaction score
Where are the fruity esters coming from?

I keep getting these fruity esters in my beers (I can't really tell what fruit it is but it doesn't come from the hops).

The latest IPA was an all Centennial (8oz about 70 IBUs) that fermented around 60F.

3 Gallon batch
Yeast is redryhated Safale US-05

6.7 lbs of grains
90% 2 row
3% Munich
3% Carapils
3% Cyrstal Caramel 40
1% Wheat

OG 1.058
FG 1.013

Can it come from a lack of oxygenation? I shook the carboy before pitching, but not enough?
I see a lot of people doing this but never seen them complain about fruity esters..

Are you able to control your fermentation temps? Esters can be caused by fermenting at at higher than recommended temperatures. What was your fermentation temp?

s-05 below 64°f can make some weird fruity (some say peachy) off flavors.
try fermenting a bit warmer next time...

Sorry as mentioned above, fermented at 60F

Sorry, I scanned your post like 5 times and still missed that you posted your fermentation temp! I've never fermented US-05 below 65 and have never run into the ester issue with it so meatcleaver's advice is probably good to follow.

there are hundreds of posts about US-05 producing peachy esters 62 and below

Sorry than, never heard of this one...

However, I've also done some batches around 65 with some esters too

I would say pitch rate at this point, but rehydrated in a 3 gallon batch pitch rate probably isn't the issue. What were the hops in the other batches?

Sometimes depending on the brand of Munich malt it will throw some weird fruity character some describe as cherry and you could be mistaking that for fruity esters.

I would say pitch rate at this point, but rehydrated in a 3 gallon batch pitch rate probably isn't the issue. What were the hops in the other batches?

Sometimes depending on the brand of Munich malt it will throw some weird fruity character some describe as cherry and you could be mistaking that for fruity esters.

Thanks for your help, I am considering now that my pitch rate wasn't good.

I pitched 7g of dry yeast for 3 gallons. Which is in line with MrMalty calculator. (Hopefully the calculator is correct). But the yeast used was a few months old and may have needed an extra g or 2.

Could be any of these 3: Lower temperature/Under-pitching/Lack of aeration

My Munich is from Briess

I just did a blonde ale split batch US05 and Notty. 63 degrees ferment temp and th 05 has very strong esters. Have used it before around 68 and the esters were very pleasant. I will be staying in the high 60's from now on. Leaving it in secondary for a few weeks at 68 hoping itll clean up.

OP, I'd try a different yeast strain. It could be all temp driven (us05 is known for peach at low temps), or you just might prefer a different yeast strain that has a different flavor profile.

Thanks to everyone

I corrected this in my latest batch with the same yeast, and no esters at all

Fermented around 65-67F and pitched a little more than usually

I'm just not a huge fan of US05/WY1056/WLP001 in general. For me it imparts flavors of peach / peachskin at nearly any temperature. Cold crashing, fining, and racking the beer after everything settles before bottling / kegging really helps clean up brews that use these strains.

Back