Where are my Manhattan drinkers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet vermouth. Rittenhouse rye. 1:2
A few splashes of angostura bitters. Couple of homemade cocktail cherries.

Anything else should really be called by a different name.

Rye, sweet vermouth, not too many bitters, and steel ice cubes.

I made a Bourbon Barrel Cherry Quad- every time I have it reminds me of a beer Manhattan. My best beer ever.

Mines a little different.....Rye ( a good price performer is Dickel and a proper mh is always rye), sweet vermouth, angostura and orange bitters......

Definitely bourbon (although rye is tasty too, but DEFINITELY not Canadian whiskey). Sweet vermouth if you have it (sometimes I only have dry vermouth, so I'll use that if I don't have sweet vermouth). Two dashes of Angostura bitters. A maraschino cherry. No ice (should be chilled in a cocktail shaker, then strained into a glass).

I know my way deviates from the "standard" a bit, but I think it's pretty good.

Bulleit Rye and sweet vermouth 3:1 3 dashes Fee Brothers Bitters. Stirred in a nonic glass full of ice (glass design keeps ice where it belongs). Strain into martini glass. One cherry. I also like the addition of squeezing a piece of orange peel across flame into glass and wipe rim of glass with the peel then drop into glass. Mmmm, I know what I am having tonight!

My favorite modification is to include a splash of the syrup from the maraschino cherry jar.

Yeah, I like that too. Usually go "perfect" - 2 parts bourbon or rye, 1/2 part dry vermouth, 1/2 part sweet vermouth, dash of bitters. WI_Wino, I'll have to try the brandy manhattan for a change up!

Rye, Sweet Vermouth (2:1), 2 drops angostura, 1 drop other bitters of my choice. Stirred and served up with an orange peel.

For Rye: Koval, Rittenhouse, Corsair.
For sweet vermouth: Carpano Antico is my favorite for manhattans, but Dolin Rouge and Cocchi Torino are good as well.

Leave the cherry out, unless it's a homemade whiskey/brandy cherry.

4 parts Makers Mark
1 part sweet vermouth
dash bitters
1 non-neon-red marschino cherry
Shaken
Poured into a chilled martini glass with a single racquetball sized ice cube

Crap. Now I gotta go make one.....

Definitely a Manhattan lover. There is a seafood house in my town right on the water that has a good upstairs bar and they make a killer bacon infused Manhattan . They infuse the bourbon with bacon and serve with a peice of candied bacon . Definitely not traditional but a very delicious twist. Get one every time we go for happy hour appetizers and oysters .

Lots of love for the sweet vermouth in here. I always go dry.

My Dad and Uncle often drank Southern Comfort manhattans. I still have a little bit of a soft spot for them.

Related: I have a bottle of this beer from Pipeworks in the fridge and haven't tried it yet.

stirred

Lots of love for the sweet vermouth in here. I always go dry.

My Dad and Uncle often drank Southern Comfort manhattans. I still have a little bit of a soft spot for them.

Agreed. Dry vermouth with either rye or bourbon, bitters, cherry with a couple drips of the juice

I'm my family's designated Manhattan maker. Strictly bourbon manhattans.

- 3:1 bourbon to sweet vermouth
- Healthy dose of bitters (been using Fee Brothers)
- Tiny splash of maraschino cherry juice

Shaken with ice, strained into either an old fashioned or martini glass.

I'm also a big fan of the CableCar

-pit and stem a pound of tart cherries and cram into mason jar, cover with Kracken (black, lightly spiced rum), and let sit at least 1 month

-pint glass + fist of ice
-pour 2 oz bourbon, 1/2 oz dry vermouth over ice
-pour sweet vermouth into cocktail glass, swirl and rotate till glass is coated, and pour back into bottle (or mouth if you have good vermouth)
-skewer two cherries from above onto pick/swizzle/straw and add to cocktail glass
-stir pint glass, and strain into cocktail glass
-sprinkle lightly bitters of choice into center of glass over spoon, so a little puddle of color floats in glass

Man...ran out of cherries in December...it will take a month to make one correctly now :tank:

Back