Where are all the San Diegans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
I think we should pick a brewery and pay a visit. There was recent conjecture about going to Stone, which I am always up for. BUT I am good with where ever. :rockin:

I think there are a lot of us around here. I typically end up at Hamilton's at night and if I am going out to lunch, I can make it to O'Briens. Stone is cool, Pizza Port is cool, Blind Lady Ale House is cool... There's a lot in this town.

Maybe it would be easier to find out where exactly everyone is so we can maybe pick a central location. I live in Hillcrest, but work in Rancho Bernardo so I am good with going anywhere.

Maybe it would be easier to find out where exactly everyone is so we can maybe pick a central location. I live in Hillcrest, but work in Rancho Bernardo so I am good with going anywhere.

I live in South Park and work in Miramar. Yay commuting! No, I'm not in the military.

OK, so that makes 2 of us with the same corridor of travel (3 including my brew-partner who doesn't visit here much). Are there any smaller/lesser known breweries around here we could go to? San Diego Brewery is one I know of, only been once and it wasn't with a group intent on trying out different style beers.

After looking into the options, I'm thinking that going for the San Diego Brewing Co might be the most central option. Objections? Anyone actually want to go? Ideas as to when (or when not) to go? I can't do Tuesdays, but week nights might be best as they'd be less busy (maybe we could get them to give us a tour?).

I looked up Hamilton's and it sounds good too, but might be too far south depending on where the majority of people are coming from. Though right now we have Hillcrest and Southpark, so it's not far at all :) I don't know many of the good non-brewery beer places around though, so keep suggestions coming.

I live in Mira Mesa, so I live centrally. I do know that Ballast Point has a brewery located in damn near in my back yard, and so does Ale Smith. I didn't even realized I lived less than 2 miles from TWO world class breweries. Still, I would love to branch out and meet some new people, so I am up to travel some.

Jesus, I'm stoked. I know where I am going tomorrow. I need to fill up my bomber with some malty deliciousness.

Isn't Ale Smith distribution only, not somewhere we can go and sit have and a drink/food? Maybe I am thinking of somewhere else?

Glad to see a few more San Diegans chiming is at least :D

Isn't Ale Smith distribution only, not somewhere we can go and sit have and a drink/food? Maybe I am thinking of somewhere else?

Glad to see a few more San Diegans chiming is at least :D
Alesmith is open to general public on Fridays and Saturdays. Very limited times, but still a cool thing indeed.

Ah, didn't know that. Do they just do beer then? Or do they have food available too?

Ah, didn't know that. Do they just do beer then? Or do they have food available too?

Alesmith is oldschool. They don't do food, they don't do classy testing rooms. They have a ratty old, homemade bar in between brew tanks. It's about as low speed, high drag as it gets, but it's a good time.

Well, it was like that last time I was there around a year ago.

Alesmith is open to general public on Fridays and Saturdays. Very limited times, but still a cool thing indeed.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday now. Thursday 3-5, Friday 3-5, and Saturday 1-4. They are super nice there.

Oh, and a 1/2 gallon jug is a growler. A 22 ounce bottle is a bomber. Just FYI.

Ballast Point over in Scripps has much better hours and they put on some awesome beer. Today they have a barrel aged Scottish ale on. Wish I could make it over.

The SWMBO lives in Hillcrest, I'm hopping on a plane in 2 hours and I'll be out there from 4/30-5/7, let me know if we're meeting up somewhere.

The SWMBO lives in Hillcrest, I'm hopping on a plane in 2 hours and I'll be out there from 4/30-5/7, let me know if we're meeting up somewhere.

This may necessitate a trip to Hamilton's! Tomorrow night is North Coast night and they have Rasputin XI going on, as well as several other awesome things.

Fri., May 1st; North Coast Night and Cask of Red Seal

Cask: Red Seal Draught: Scrimshaw Pilsner, Acme pale Ale, Blue Star Hefe, "North Coast XI Old Rasputin", La Merle, Pranqster, Brother Thelonius, Old Stock 2008, Acme IPA

Obriens is always a good time. San Diego Brewing Company also has a nice selection of beer and much better parking.

Anyone else good for Saturday so we can welcome Prof. Frink to SD? Assuming he can do that night...

Let's see when he's available. I can do almost any night. I've been really busy, but I'll make a trip out, even if it is for a short time. If it somehow does end up at Hamilton's, I would be thrilled, but anywhere else is ok too. I just like the ambiance and the walk home. O'Briens is cool, but feels like a strip mall and SD Brew Co is ok too, but again, ambiance. I like a bar to feel like a bar.

I'm cool with Hamilton's, never been but you seem to like it :) They serve bar food? (if you can't tell yet I like food as much as I do beer).

I'm cool with Hamilton's, never been but you seem to like it :) They serve bar food? (if you can't tell yet I like food as much as I do beer).

haha. I love it there. And yeah, they have a cafe. The Blind Tiger grilled cheese is my favorite... grilled onions, apples, and bacon. Totally awesome.

If any of San Diegans want to join up with a beer club once at month at San Diego Brew Co., we meet up once a month on the 3rd Saturday each month. I only started meeting up with these guys about 3 months ago but noticed that whether you're a beginner or expert, this club has everyone in between. They do outings at the beer fests, i.e. Ojay this weekend, as well as judging competitions every quarter, to brew-offs in someone's backyard.. Best part about it, you get to try about 12 different homebrews every month and have a 15% discount card for Homebrew Mart. So if anyone is interested in coming to check it out this month feel free to hit me up..we can always use another person to share beer with.

If any of San Diegans want to join up with a beer club once at month at San Diego Brew Co., we meet up once a month on the 3rd Saturday each month. I only started meeting up with these guys about 3 months ago but noticed that whether you're a beginner or expert, this club has everyone in between. They do outings at the beer fests, i.e. Ojay this weekend, as well as judging competitions every quarter, to brew-offs in someone's backyard.. Best part about it, you get to try about 12 different homebrews every month and have a 15% discount card for Homebrew Mart. So if anyone is interested in coming to check it out this month feel free to hit me up..we can always use another person to share beer with.

15% at HBM? I thought the customary club discount was 10%. That's what they give AHA and QUAFF types.

That said, I don't think I could bring myself to going to SDBC once a month. That place just doesn't make me happy. At all.

My fault, it is 10%..I don't know why I thought it was 15. As for SDBC, it's not exactly our favorite place of all places to drink at...with that being said, this is one of the few places where us crazy drinkers can get together, bring our own beer, have half about 1/3 of the bar to ourselves and not have management be pissed that we aren't spending money on their pints instead. It also has a great central location since we're coming from all directions. I guess I'm just in it more for the social aspect and learn a thing or two than to be concerned if the place makes me happy or not..

My fault, it is 10%..I don't know why I thought it was 15. As for SDBC, it's not exactly our favorite place of all places to drink at...with that being said, this is one of the few places where us crazy drinkers can get together, bring our own beer, have half about 1/3 of the bar to ourselves and not have management be pissed that we aren't spending money on their pints instead. It also has a great central location since we're coming from all directions. I guess I'm just in it more for the social aspect and learn a thing or two than to be concerned if the place makes me happy or not..

Makes sense.

I never heard back from Frink :( Tonight is out for sure for me, might have some spare time tomorrow evening.

Tomorrow might work for me. Saturday is Rogue night at that one bar I frequent. 24 Rogue beers and 2 casks, so I will likely be there early to try what I want and run away.

I'm totally going to be at Hamilton's for 2nd Saturday. I'm probably going to get there sometime before 5ive to get a good spot!

I'm totally going to be at Hamilton's for 2nd Saturday. I'm probably going to get there sometime before 5ive to get a good spot!

I'll be there at some point, I'm sure. I'm thinking like 3:00 though. I won't stay late if the crowd is what I think it will be like.

Edit: Look for the tall, fat guy with a beard. I'll likely be wearing a black t-shirt. I'm there a lot.

Back