Where am I losing efficiency???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpinette2

Reaction score
Hello,

just finished my 10th batch! Over this time I continue to learn and improve all of my processes. But I’m struggling with my efficiency. When I take first runnings, i am usually above what beersmith predicts, my original gravity is always below, not a terrible amount, but 2-3points.

Is the culprit my boil?

I mash in a 60qt cooler. Have a 16 gallon pot. Mash for 75 mins, at 30 i stir like crazy, at 1hr same. Then i drain, and batch sparse, let it sit for 10mins, then drain that. I’ve learned my “equipment” pretty well over these 10 batches. So i mash with 6gallons, sparge with 5.5gallons. I use roughly 15lbs of grain. This gets me 8.5 gallons for pre boil....usually there is a little left(1/2 gallon-1gallon) that i dump. I have a 7g fermenter, but want to stay at the 6.25 gallon mark. My kettle is so large, it sits on two top burners on oven that i light, if i keep top on, it gets to a rolling boil.

Thoughts, Helps, suggestions?

Thanks in advance

2 thoughts: 1. You're dumping 1/2 -1 gallon. There's sugar in them there dumpings. So, instead of always sparging with 5.5G, measure the volume of your 1st runnings, and sparge with only enough water to make the volume you want to boil with. For example, if your 1st runnings give you 4G and you want a BK volume of 8.5, then sparge with 4.5G.
2. The initial BK volume of 8.5G seems a bit high to get 6.25 into the fermenter. Are you really boiling off 2.25G in an hour? If so, you can probably save a little gas and turn down your heat. A rolling boil is sufficient, she don't need to be jumping out of the pot. I use a propane burner and a 10G BK and boil off 1G in an hour. Of course there are always equipment variations.
I guess 3 thoughts- 2-3 points low in OG is not that bad and could be the difference in about 1 qt volume. ie. 6.5 G in the fermenter instead of 6.25G.
Good Luck! You can figure it out!

+10 to your water volumes. I had this same problem. Fixed that **** and just brewed a 1.099 imperial stout today. Boom!

great, thanks for info....was starting to suspect that could be the problem!

Don't have any extra left over... great advice,.or get a bigger fermentation vessel ..brew to what fits in the vessel.

How much time are you giving your wort to drain?

Slowing this down will most likely offer you more than a couple points of efficiency.

Yes, In my opinion.
I think 20 to 30 minutes each would gross you a much higher efficiency.
I know waiting around for an hour in the middle of your brew sesh is kinda boring, but I think it will pay off big time by way of ABV in your final product.

I fought the same fight for my first bunch of batches. For me I was adding my initial amount of water based on what Beersmith was telling me to start with. What I didn't realize was that the volume of water was with the 4% from heat expansion included. So I reduced that number by 4% and boom been hitting my estimated OG every time.

Back