When would be a good time to move your fermenter across town?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
Because of some big renos in my house I am without a kitchen. I was hoping to brew this week sometime at another homebrew pal's house but I would rather have it fermenting at mine.

So my question is would it be a bad thing to brew, put it in my primary (which is a 10 G bucket) and then load it up and drive it back to my house?

That would be the time to move it around considering that is when I want to aerate the beer anyway, right?

I have moved a couple of brews 15+ miles at different stages with no issues, but that sounds like the best time. I would pitch first, put an airlock and a seatbelt on it and roll on.

That was my exact thought. It's gotta aerate sometime, right? I had that exact same question in mind as I have a simliar situation coming up in a week.

As an FYI, one of the last batches I did was also at a friend's house. I primaried and secondaried at his house, and took it home to bottle. I was kinda worried about aerating the beer, but I didn't have much of a choice. At the end of the day, I didn't need to worry. Even with the drive across town in a carboy, the final product has zero oxidation.

I'm less worried now about transporting my beer from now on, FWIW.

good to hear so many beer travel stories.

This would only be a 5 min drive but it is a twisty road.

I figure I pitch the yeast and let the road handle mixing it up.
:)

If the drive was over a few minutes, I would put saranwrap over the top, and pitch the yeast when I got home. I really wouldn't want to have it start fermenting and sloshing out the top, while driving. Just sounds like a disaster.

That said, probably fine to move it at the start of the primary.

Back