when to start checking final gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron,ar

Reaction score
I normally ferment in a primary only and try to let it ferment 10-14 days before checking the FG and then only if it has stopped bubbling.
This will be my first dry hopping effort and want to add the dry hops at or near FG. It is a simple 6 gallon batch Ale with 14 lbs grain. OG was 1.070 brewed on 2/17/13.
I have this aversion to opening the fermenter for any reason without cause. How long do you folks usually wait to check for FG? Is 10 days too long in this case? Thanks for any advice
Ron

As long as you're sanitary, there's nothing wrong with opening your fermentor. Check gravity whenever you like or when you see signs that fermentation has finished. If you don't want to open your fermentor, then follow your normal schedule for checking FG. I would wait to dry hop until fermentation is complete and the beer has had some time to condition in your fermentor. My rule is the closer I dry hop to bottling, the better, allowing time for the hop particles to drop out of course.

I never check until bottling day. But I also wait at least 3 weeks. When i dry hop I take out the air lock and w/a funnel pour the hops into the fermenter and replace the air lock. Pretty simple. Let the dry hops stay in for about a week.

I typically dryhop 5 -7 days before packaging, so I don't usually check the FG until then. I wait until primary is done, and the beer is starting to clear (usually day 10ish) then add the dryhops and then package 5-7 days later.

If you don't wait until fermentation is finished, the hops oils can "cling" to the yeast, and when the yeast drops out, the hops oils can go with it losing some of the dryhopping aroma. It might not make a huge difference, though.

Back