When to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OOC92

Reaction score
We are making a kit Belgian Whit, got instructions to wait until the primary fermentation has completely stopped before going to the secondary. The instructions said that the airlock would cease in 4-6 days, for us it has been 16 days. We are getting about a 'pop' every 3 minutes or so. Must we wait until it totally stops for racking to the secondary?

The consensus view will be never. Leave it in primary for a while longer...after bubbling stops and then some.

BTW, has it consistently been bubbling for 16 days? It may be this is simply outgassing. Still, no need for secondary.

Hydrometer reading will tell you when it's done. Airlock can be a guide but ultimately when it's been a stable reading for a few days that is your final answer.

No need to secondary.... keep it in the primar for a two week minimum. I personally always wait three weeks depending on style. +1 on the steady three day hygrometer reading.

Cheers!

McGarnigle said:
The consensus view will be never.

I wouldn't say there's still a consensus. A surprising amount of homebrewers are wilfully stuck in the dark ages - and would take offense to me implying it's an outdated practice! But that's really what it is. I mean, there are situations where a secondary can be beneficial (eg REALLY extended aging), but it really should be the exception and not the rule.

OP, just leave it in primary for two more weeks if you can manage. Wit beers can often take a fair bit of time to fully ferment anyways. If you can hold off for that total of 4 weeks, I promise your patience will be duly rewarded. Assuming your secondary vessel only holds 5 gallons, make some apfelwein or skeeter pee or something. If it's bigger (likely 6 or 6.5 gallons), get another batch of beer going IMMEDIATELY!

So in theory if I leave the beer in the primary for 2 months, the final product should be the same as if I left it for 3 months? Can I just leave it or do I have to be 'on' it? Is there a point of no return where the sip says 'Ugh you left it too long'?

Yes, it's possible to leave it too long, and I wouldn't leave a Witbier for 2 or 3 months. Wheat beers don't have the longevity of most other styles.

But the main point is that if you're going to wait 2 or 3 or 4 weeks from brewing to bottling, might as well do it all in primary (unless you want to rack onto fruit or something). Not everyone agrees, but a witbier is probably one of the least secondaried beer styles, I'd guess.

We are making a kit Belgian Whit, got instructions to wait until the primary fermentation has completely stopped before going to the secondary. The instructions said that the airlock would cease in 4-6 days, for us it has been 16 days. We are getting about a 'pop' every 3 minutes or so. Must we wait until it totally stops for racking to the secondary?

What i do, is ferment everything for 30 days in primary and i only use secondary on very high SG brews, such as 1.090 and up Or if i have a brew that i want to be REALLY clear.

Back