When to runs HERMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewDLW3

Reaction score
So I just got a pump and fittings and designed all my equipment so I can run a herms system through my wort chiller in my HLT. My question is should you run the herms the entire mash time? Or only during mash temp raises/mash outs? Any cons or pros doing either? Going to do my first HERMS brew in a week or so.

Thermometer and propane heat thats it for now, but will probably upgrade to an electric heater eventually just for the mash.

The first time you do it, its going to be test run for temps. I only have a propane burner and no temp control and am able to maintain the mash temp throughout the entire mash. My wort going trough the coil is about 3-4 degrees higher than the actual mash temp. Make sure you have a way to recirculate the water within the HLT also. I would go ahead and recirculate during the entire mash..

Back