When to remove hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happypanties

Reaction score
Do you remove hops before you begin cooling, or after? I am wondering what it means to add hops at "flame out".

I use a small bag for my hops and always remove them before cooling the wort.

Adding hops at flame out literally means when you turn off your heat source at the end of your boil. I usually take out my hops after I cool, but I suppose theirs not much of an advantage either way unless they get in the way of an immersion cooler. If they are a flame out addition you want to keep them in there until it goes in the fermenter.

I was thinking if you remove hops before cooling, adding hops at "flame out" doesn't make any sense...because you would add them then immediately remove them.

So should I change my process to remove the hops after cooling is complete?

Yes. Think about it like "steeping" the hops in hot, but not boiling water. Like tea. Remove once cool.

Like you steep specialty grains to wash off sugars, you steep hops to wash off essential oils that add to aroma and flavor. You'll definitely want to leave them in for the 30 minutes or so it takes to cool the batch down, to make sure you get all of the goodness they have to offer.

Thanks guys, guess I've been doing it wrong all along! Oh well the beer still tasted pretty good. I will definitely do it this way next batch.

When I have recipie that calls for a flameout hops addition, I generally put them in the last 5 minutes of the boil. But, as stated above, the recipie actually calls for hops be left in while the wort is cooling. I strain mt wort after cooling through a stainless steel seive into the fermenter to remove the hops and trub. That means the hops are all left in the 20 minutes it takes to cool to fermenter temps, plus the recipie boil time.

Back