When to raise ale fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate_e

Reaction score
So I have agreed to brew gift beers for out–of–town guests attending our wedding this fall. So far I've brewed 2 of 4, 5gal batches of a pumpkin ale (OG = 1.055). The rate limiting factor in production is that my fermentation chamber only fit two carboys in at a time. In order to have enough time for the bottles to carb before the wedding, I should probably do the 3rd batch today or tomorrow. Batch #1 (brewed a week ago, fermenting at 68+/-2F) could come out to make room for #3. However, there is still some krausen on the surface though it has definitely been dropping. The ambient temp in my basement is ~70-75F. Would pulling #1 out of the ferm chamber today and letting it finish fermenting over the next week in the basement be rushing things too much? It definitely seems preferable to just have #3 going with no temperature control.

It is definitely preferable to no control on #3 and you should be fine. The majority of esters and other flavored related to yeast growth generally take place in the first 48 hrs of fermentation. Many brewers will control this part intensely and then free rise to somewhere 68-70. Te yeast actually probably enjoy cleaning up their work at a higher temp for this final period.

Back