When to rack to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drudini11

Reaction score
Cider has been in primary for last 13 days..........no sign of activity in airlock for the past 5-6 days and clearing up nicely........able to see all the way through to the other side now. How long should I keep this in the primary sitting on the trub before racking to secondary? I have read posts from folks who claim to keep cider in primary for months and then go straight to bottles and then others that suggest getting into secondary after 2-4 weeks to prevent off-flavors from working their way into the cider and condition in secondary for 2-3+ months. Not sure what way to go here........will look to the majority opinion on this one. Thanks.

I rack mine when there are a lot of gross lees on the bottom- usually about day 5-10, depending on the cider I've used. Then I only rack whenever it needs it, sometimes never and sometimes within 60 days.

I rack after about two weeks from bucket to a clear carboy. Then again when I feel it has cleared up/stopped fermenting. Never had to rack more than three times to get nice clear cider.

Day 15 and racked to 5 gallon carboy this morning. getting SG reading of 1.000 already (started with OG of 1.062). Secondary moved to basement where it will sit at around 57-58 degrees probably for the next month. Planning on bottling weekend after Christmas and will let it sit until Mid February before trying one.

I was having this conversation today actually. I have left it in the primary for over a month w no activity and I have left it in the secondary for months. I feel there is no real difference. it ages once it is in the bottles faster it seems.

I was having this conversation today actually. I have left it in the primary for over a month w no activity and I have left it in the secondary for months. I feel there is no real difference. it ages once it is in the bottles faster it seems.

There is truth to that. Larger volumes tend to age slower. Dividing your brew up into bottles allows more temp variation, surface exposure, micro-oxigenation, etc.

Back