When to rack to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumtired

Reaction score
Hi there. Newby question. When do you rack to the secondary? Automatically at 1 week? After 3 days of checking the gravity with no movement? On Saturday, I brewed a Brewers Best kit, American Cream Ale. I pitched the yeast at 77 degrees. In 3 hours, I had about 1 bubble a second. Now, about 55 hours later, I have 1 bubble about every minute and a half to two minutes. Is it safe to open up the 6 1/2 gal. bucket 3 times in 3 days to take a hydrometer reading, or to wait the full week?

The beer, you could leave in the primary two weeks and go straight to bottle. However, if you are committed to using a secondary, give it a full week, then allow it two weeks in the secondary. In this case, the secondary will just help you get a clearer beer.

I don't like to open my fermenters, just for fear of contamination. I gauge by guess and by gosh, watching the calendar and the air lock. Some folks don't mind opening up and taking a sample and for the most part it does not seem to affect how the beer comes out.

Take a hydrometer reading. If the gravity has dropped 75% of the original it's time to rack.;)

Unless it's a Weizen be careful not to rouse the sediment.

If you used liquid yeast try learning how to wash the yeast to recycle the yeast and save $$$.:D

Back