When to rack a lager to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly7552

Reaction score
I'm confused about when to transfer a lager from the primary to the secondary. Is it simply when you measure with your hydrometer that your 2/3 of the way to terminal gravity, or should you wait for the krausen to clear? I used a kit from morebeer and they didn't list a terminal gravity. I brewed a pilsner using distilled water and extract with a starting gravity of 1.045.

I measured it on Saturday and it was 1.030.

The krausen is just staring to thin out and weaken.

Suggestions?

thanks,

-Bill

Let it ferment out completely and then give it a few more days. Bringing the beer down to lagering temp before you rack it will help the yeast drop out.

If you are planning on doing a diacetyl rest, now is probably about the right time.

let it ferment 3/4 of the way to your final gravity and then pull to warmer area for a diacytal rest. Once it hits FG, rack off to secondary and drop a few degrees per day until your at ur lager temp and then lager for desired time.

let it ferment 3/4 of the way to your final gravity and then pull to warmer area for a diacytal rest. Once it hits FG, rack off to secondary and drop a few degrees per day until your at ur lager temp and then lager for desired time.

This is what I do as well. Even if it ferments all the way to FG before you pull it for a diacetyl rest, it'll be ok. I've been busy with work, and have a feeling that my maibock is about done with primary, but I just haven't had a chance to check it. I'll check it on Saturday, and if my FG is 1.020 or less (and I'm sure it is, probably closer to finished) I'll bring it upstairs for a diacetyl rest. I'll rack it after 24-48 hours to secondary, and then start the lagering process.

Arent you suppose to ferment it for 9-11 days?

No. You ferment it until it's finished, or at least 75% finished if you're doing a diacetyl rest. Sometimes it's ready in 4-5 days, sometimes in 15 days. Counting the number of days isn't an accurate way to determine when and if fermentation is finished.

Back