When to pour a beer to ensure best aroma/flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannabrew

Reaction score
Most of the time when I grab a beer (say an IPA) out of the fridge I open it right away and pour it into a tulip glass. I may take a whiff or two but then I'll let it sit until it warms a bit before drinking it.

I was wondering if I am losing too much aroma that way and if it's recommended to remove the beer and simply let it warm for a bit before opening and pouring it?

What are others doing?

if i'm looking to let a beer "warm up", like a stout or something...i typically pull bottle out, let it sit on counter, THEN crack it open to drink!

I wouldn't think you'd lose that much aroma from it warming in the glass.

xpops has a good idea though... why don't you do a side by side comparison? Pull out a beer and let it warm on the counter while another beer warms poured out in a glass. Report back your results if you do! :mug:

Most of my beers don't even make it into my fridge at all this time of year. I drink them straight from the cellar at cellar temp, ~50 degrees. Is that wrong? (My cellar right now is pretty much all dark lagers, stouts, belgians, and IPAs.) My pilsner and my Berliner are the only two brews I'm pretty particular about refrigerating.

sounds good to me! my fridge is only set to 40, and i still usually let a beer sit "on deck" for 20+ mins. probably dropping to that same temp!

BTW, a google search yielded these helpful guidelines:
General Serving Temperature Rules:
  • All beers should be served between 38-55° F.
  • Lagers are served colder than ales.
  • Stronger beers are served warmer than weaker beers.
  • Darker beers are served warmer than lighter beers.
  • Macro lagers are served as cold as the Rockies.

I leave mine at room temperature until I want one. After 12 or 13 minutes in the freezer, it's at the perfect temperature. Nice and clear too...no chill haze at all.

I tend to drink mine at room temp lately. My homebrews are generally stored in my basement, about 63-65F, and I drink them immediately after opening. I guess it depends on personal preference and type of beer.

On the note of losing aroma after opening, I don't think you have to worry, but I personally would let it warm up in the can/bottle and then open when I'm about to drink it.

Most of my beers don't even make it into my fridge at all this time of year. I drink them straight from the cellar at cellar temp, ~50 degrees. Is that wrong? (My cellar right now is pretty much all dark lagers, stouts, belgians, and IPAs.) My pilsner and my Berliner are the only two brews I'm pretty particular about refrigerating.

I thought your beer would have more carbonation in it if you let it sit in the fridge all day, and then set it out on the counter to warm up to 50 degrees, as opposed to taking an unrefrigerated beer out of the cellar at 50 degrees. Anyone know if that's true?

I let almost any ale sit for about 10 minutes before opening. I might do 5 minutes for lagers. It's still cooler than ideal serving temperature that way, but it warms up about halfway in.

BTW, a google search yielded these helpful guidelines:
General Serving Temperature Rules:
  • All beers should be served between 38-55° F.
  • Lagers are served colder than ales.
  • Stronger beers are served warmer than weaker beers.
  • Darker beers are served warmer than lighter beers.
  • Macro lagers are served as cold as the Rockies.

I'd agree with this and say it's common practice.
Temperature, age, and carbing levels all influence the perception of beer. There's no real hard and fast rule for personal preference, but some beer styles seem better when served differently than others. It's why people got into the habit of styling beers with seasonal changes. I've drank pilsners at room temps and poured others over ice and always noticed most beer smells differently when chilled as opposed to room temperature.

Last edited:
I thought your beer would have more carbonation in it if you let it sit in the fridge all day, and then set it out on the counter to warm up to 50 degrees, as opposed to taking an unrefrigerated beer out of the cellar at 50 degrees. Anyone know if that's true?
Interesting... I've noticed that my last IPA and Stout felt a little undercarbed. Maybe I'll try sticking them in the fridge then removing before serving.

CO2 does absorb better in cold liquid, so in theory (probably in practice too) when opening them right from cellar, you could be losing some CO2 to the headspace in the bottle that would typically be absorbed into the beer when refrigerated.

side by side test! let us know,

Back