When to plant....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big supper

Reaction score
I have my rhizomes in my fridge. I would plant them now, but I am moving in about one month. The plan is to plant them in pots and carfully transplant them at the beginning of June. My only real concern is that I need them to still fit in my car when I move them. How high will first year plants grow in one month? Should I wait a week or two, or just plant them now like I want to do so badly!!???!

I have my rhizomes in my fridge. I would plant them now, but I am moving in about one month. The plan is to plant them in pots and carfully transplant them at the beginning of June. My only real concern is that I need them to still fit in my car when I move them. How high will first year plants grow in one month? Should I wait a week or two, or just plant them now like I want to do so badly!!???!

If you're planting in pots go ahead and do that now. They won't grow very high in a month. You can keep them in pots this season and transplant next spring.

If you're planting in pots go ahead and do that now. They won't grow very high in a month. You can keep them in pots this season and transplant next spring.

Cloney,

This year I planted, as an experiment, 20 rhizomes (10 variety with 2 rhizomes per). So far they are all up - some with multiple shoots. What have you planted in Springfield?

It is possible the head start you will get will be nullified by the shock of transplanting unless you transplant the entire pot of soil.

Cloney,

This year I planted, as an experiment, 20 rhizomes (10 variety with 2 rhizomes per). So far they are all up - some with multiple shoots. What have you planted in Springfield?

I planted Cascade, Hallertau and Nugget last year. The Hallertau didn't do too well and didn't come back this year. The Cascade and nugget do really well. I planted cuttings from the Cascade last year and those are doing really well too. All the Bines are between 3' and 4'.

It is possible the head start you will get will be nullified by the shock of transplanting unless you transplant the entire pot of soil.

Ya, my plan was to just dig a hole and put the whole contents of the pot in. Maybe some compost as well.

I don't think that they will be more than 5 feet by the end of May. If they are I will find a solution! I was thinking about it more yesterday, and I think that I will just go ahead and plant them. I don't know why I have been 'stressing' about it. I do want to do it right and have a good first year of establishment, but if they don't all work out I can just get some more next year. It's not really as big of a deal as I was making it out to be in my head!!

P5010008.jpg

Back