When to plant fully rooted field grade plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_1977

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to hop growing I live in southeast Michigan, and I just purchased 4 fully rooted plants. When is the best time to plant them?

The best time is spring, but I think they'll do better in the ground than kept in containers, at least that is my experience having done both. Be sure they have good drainage and water them if dry.

The best time is whenever you have a spot ready for them. Most people plant rhizomes in the spring because that's when farmers prune the crown and have rhizomes available to sell. Since you have fully rooted plants (I'm assuming from Great Lakes) you can put them in the ground immediately. You won't get any hops out of them this year since it's late in the season but you'll give them time to grow and establish roots for faster growth next year. You'll be impressed how vigorous they'll grow next spring if you plant them now!

From my extremely limited sample size I would say that you can plant them whenever. I planted a few seedlings last Fall, they only had a few true leaves, and they are doing great this year.

Planted some through the season so far, can't say the ones I put out later are any worse than the ones put in Spring (other than having had less growing time).

Back