When to move carboy to warmer temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Brewed an IPA Friday 1.062 OG using 1 pack of us-04 which I've been using a lot lately, pitched at 62 deg and place in basement. I normally view 04 as a very violent and quick fermenter with nice size krausen however this time the krausen only got to about 1/2" if that so three days later I could see the yeast starting to drop out. Is this the time to move it upstairs to finish out, temp is about 70-71 deg upstairs. I just do t want the yeast to kick off again in the warmer temps and start throwing off flavor which 04 can do at the higher temps. Peak ferment temp I viewed was 66-68 in the basement.

Most of the aromas and flavors are set within the first few days of fermentation. I would think moving to a warmer temperature should be OK and will help fermentation finish out.

Most of the aromas and flavors are set within the first few days of fermentation. I would think moving to a warmer temperature should be OK and will help fermentation finish out.

Thanks for the reply. I just checked it and it's starting to bubble more in the airlock an hour after moving it prob a little residual co2 from moving but temp on fermometer is now 66 deg. I usually do this practice lately of moving the beers upstairs after 3-4 days of fermentation.

I use a fermentation chamber and set for the mid range of the yeasts optimum temperature. I do not change the temperature at all. But as stated any off flavors produced by higher temperatures would be during the first few days of fermentation. It should not harm anything by moving it but for me I would wait at least until day 7.

I use a fermentation chamber and set for the mid range of the yeasts optimum temperature. I do not change the temperature at all. But as stated any off flavors produced by higher temperatures would be during the first few days of fermentation. It should not harm anything by moving it but for me I would wait at least until day 7.

I just didn't want the yeast to flocc out as 04 does pretty fast so while its at 66 deg now should I move it back to cooler temps until day 5-7 then bring it back up.? I was just worried that I didn't see the prototypical 04 verocity for fermentation something went wrong so I moved it up earlier than I usually do which is day 5.

I don't know. I never really pay any attention to how much activity the yeast are making. If it is fermenting, either strongly or mildly, I just say the yeast is doing their job and wait until fermentation is finished then bottle or keg the beer.

If it was me I would leave it where it is. If you move it to cooler temperatures you can shock the east and cause it to possibly stop. Don't worry it's going to be fine.

Back