When to measure Ph values

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
For the past couple of years, I never gave a thought about mash pH, or any other water chemistry for that matter. My idea was to learn the basics of what I could control with my limited experience level from batch to batch and improve on the things that didn't go well on the next back and so forth.

So far, I've been happy with nearly every batch I've made using water straight out of the garden hose! OMG, yes I said it, even topped off with the same tap water. lol

So now having a few years of brewing under my belt, I've been giving some thought about what the role mash ph plays in my brewing method. My technique has been to sparge till I get my volume or hit 1.010 SG. Whatever the ph of the runnings that the grains gives me is what I go with.

After a lil reading on this forum, I've decided to purchase me a pocket pH meter. So this morning I chose the Milwaukee pH56 and a buffer kit off of Amazon. From my reading last night, it first seemed this was a great lil meter. But now, after reading further into the threads, it seems maybe my selection was not thought out as careful as it should have been. Either way, it's purchased and is in a UPS van somewhere so no use in fretting over it now.

It didn't take long after reading the stickies above that I remembered that going to the dentist was not that bad of a deal after all. I think I will volunteer for a root canal this week as that seems less painful than learning the water chemistry related to brewing. Three days ago when I first looked at this forum, taking a simple pH reading in the mashtun didn't seem that damn complicated. lol

So I think my plan for now is to do nothing but spend a few months collecting data from my next 6-8 batches and reading the forums. Once I learn the mechanics of calibrating, taking the samples along with the other SG readings during the brew day, I'll start working on what to do if those readings fall out of line with what the recipe or style calls for. Just to be honest, I wished I would have never bothered deciding to worry with it, but if I want to fully understand the effects of my water and how it imparts the flavors of my beer, then I may as well jump into it. I think initially I understood the purpose of taking a pH reading was to make sure the sugar conversions was complete and that was my initial purpose of buying the pH meter. After reading a few hours in this section of the forum, I realized quickly that it was much, much more complicated than taking a sample and calling it done.

So it a nut shell, what I need help with is simply when during my brew day to take these measurements.

Does anyone have a template I could use to do nothing more than record my data for a while till I get a better understanding of what I need to be doing - if anything to my brewing process.

In the meantime, I've asked a co-worker of mine who also happens to also work at the our local water department purifying the very water we use, if he could obtain this years water data so that I can plug those numbers in Brunwater.

Thanks,

Ken

So are you using your pH readings to determine that the starch conversions are complete that it's safe to move on to sparging? Or do you stick with the mash schedule regardless of the pH reading?

Also, would you take a Ph reading during the sparge process to make a determination when you need to stop sparging?

I'm sorry if this has been covered multiple times, but nearly every post I've read before has to do more with altering the water chemistry than it does about the brewing process. I'm pretty weak in this portion of brew knowledge in regards to Ph values.

So are you using your pH readings to determine that the starch conversions are complete that it's safe to move on to sparging? Or do you stick with the mash schedule regardless of the pH reading?

Also, would you take a Ph reading during the sparge process to make a determination when you need to stop sparging?

I'm sorry if this has been covered multiple times, but nearly every post I've read before has to do more with altering the water chemistry than it does about the brewing process. I'm pretty weak in this portion of brew knowledge in regards to Ph values.

pH can be as simple or as complicated as you want. At the most basic level you want to aim for a room temperature pH of between 5.2 and 5.6 dependent on style (forum has answers). You are unlikely to hit this range without adding acid in some form.

The next level is to get a water report and put the numbers into a calculator (there are several around). You then put in the grain bill and it will estimate your pH and then you can calculate how much acid to add. Then compare your pH estimate with your measured pH to have an idea of how your system / grainbill works with the calculator.

I don't go any further than this but I do flavour adjustments.

Temperature and time are key factors in mashing. pH does influence enzymatic processes, but it doesn't replace time and temperature. We still have to mash for enough time to convert starches to complex sugars and complex sugars to simpler sugars. Starch conversion is only the first step and that can be largely complete in about 15 minutes, but it takes much more time to produce the wort fermentability and body that you want in your beer. No shortcuts!

Yes, brewing water chemistry is mind numbing. However, there are tools like Bru'n Water that help take out the need for a brainiac level of knowledge. The Water Knowledge page of the Bru'n Water website also helps bridge the understanding between ignorance and textbook knowledge. You don't have to worry too much about water, but if you are willing to make minor adjustments, its likely to make a positive improvement in your beers. As your expertise grows, you can pay more attention to your water...if that makes you happier with your brewing.

Back