When to know fermentation is done.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cphit

Reaction score
I heard to look and see if no bubbles occur for 30seconds than it is done fermenting and you can bottle at this time. Any opinions on this. Thanks brewers.

Best way is with a hydrometer. The general rule of thumb you will find when not moving the beer to a secondary (to add hops/fruit only) is 3-4 weeks. The yeast needs time to ferment but also to clean itself up. Then into the bottles for 3 weeks at 70 degrees.

Enter Revvy...

Seriously, though, do a search and you'll find this question asked thousands and thousands of times. You'll get your answer there.

I'll play Revvy here.

An airlock is not a fermentation gauge. All a bubbling airlock means that the pressure inside is higher than the outside. It could bubble with a temp change, a change of pressure or for a lot of other reasons.

According to what you posted this one is not done yet.......what do you think?

the only way to tell that fermentation is doneis with a hydrometer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll play Revvy here.

An airlock is not a fermentation gauge. All a bubbling airlock means that the pressure inside is higher than the outside. It could bubble with a temp change, a change of pressure or for a lot of other reasons.

According to what you posted this one is not done yet.......what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jzT_KTTZ0Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

the only way to tell that fermentation is doneis with a hydrometer.

The cat man, you forgot about the cat.

Back