When to harvest and use these hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierGut

Reaction score
What are some indicators that will let me know when it's time to harvest my hops?

And when I do harvest, can I go straight from the vine into the kettle or is it better to dry them first?

You can go straight from harvest to kettle, its called wet hopping. If you harvest your hops at the correct time you are looking at a 5:1 or 6:1 ratio of what your recipe calls for. For example if you were going to use 1oz of normal pellet hops for your recipe you would use 5 or 6oz of wethops, since the water weight makes them much heavier.

When someone asks how to know when to harvest your hops i always send them this video from Bobby at brewhardware.com.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlsT-x19III[/ame]

Thank you I had the same question.

Mine look to be a couple of weeks out. They should be ready while I am away on vacation for 2 weeks. There seems to be a small window to harvest.

Is it better to harvest early or late? From the video late there is nothing early you have grassyass.

I would say a 7 day window for harvest. Depends on how early or how late you'll be i suppose.

Back