When to first check the final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntervdg

Reaction score
So I have had my beer fermenting a couple weeks now but it is still bubbling. When should the first FG be taken?

Wihtout lnowing what kind of beeer it is, I don't think that you will get much help. However, Check for Final gravity when the fermentation slows to almost no bubbleing.

The best practice is to take the FG when you are planning to do something with the information.

For example, if it's day 10 and you want to bottle in a few days, take an SG and then take another one in three days so you can ensure it's done. Or, if it's day 15 and you want to rack to a clearing vessel and dryhop, you may want to ensure it's done.

I generally package my beer by day 15 or so, so I take a reading then to make sure the beer is finished and clear.

It's an American wheat beer. I think it should take about 9 days but it started a little slow so maybe 11days.

Back