When to dig up hops for transplanting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billc68

Reaction score
I heard rumours that there are wild hops growing around here, and low and behold I checked out a tip yesterday and found some growing in a ditch. I am assuming these are something that naturalized themselves from old farms etc. from British colonial times.

Anyway, I want to dig some up and plant them in my garden to see what they are like if given a chance to flourish.

I am told our "wild" hops can be compared to Saaz, so I guess my next question.... who can I send some samples to that an confirm this? I also have some plants that were given to me that are not 100% identified as well.

Best time is spring time, but you may be able to try it now if you're not too worried if they grow or not now.

I doubt the local hops are much like Saaz and more like British hops and some may even be for looks/source of yeast for breadmaking, than for beer making.
I know of a lot of local hops, but would never use them due to not knowing their origion/AA content, etc.
I prefer to know what I am brewing with.

I bought hops from a dealer 4 or 5 years ago and planted them for my garden. I know what I have. Just don't know the AA's of them.

I am told they are good, but who knows? And maybe they really are wild.

I was planning to dig some up in the fall, maybe in a month or so. Anyway, we'll see I guess.

To evaluate their flavor and bitterness, some folks make tea with them. You could compare tea from Fuggles and Goldings and others to see how close they are. It will be interesting to see what you get. Might be an interesting history lesson in the flavor you get from those old bines. How well are the bines bearing now? The yield tends to be much higher from modern cultivars than from older varieties.

Otherwise, rhizomes are pretty cheap in the Spring.

They definitely have smaller cones and less plentiful cones, as well as smaller leaves. I am sure re-planting them in some good fertile soil will improve that somewhat as the ones I found are growing in a ditch on the side of a busy road.

Oh and i do have some Hallertauer and Northern Brewer already, so not like I am desperate, just want something different.

I saw pick some and brew them up (or at least make a tea), ...see if you like them and if you do, follow a female down and try to get a few rhizomes.

I would brew a batch with some before digging them up. Harvest them in Sept, brew, then dig em up if they are worth it.

Back