When to cryo hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6thGoal

Stephen
Reaction score
First brew session was successful, a nice American pale ale, about 5% ABV, light and easy drinking. Just purchased the ingredients for my next batch, an IPA with 0.5 oz Magnum for bittering and 2 oz. of Mosaic for flavoring, aroma and dry hopping. A friend suggested adding 1 oz. Mosaic cryo hops.

Would this addition be in lieu of one of the other Mosaic or another addition? Or are cryo hops not really needed and to go with a more conventional cone, leaf or pellet addition?

With all hops it is important to pay attention to the alpha acids of each batch/package/crop or whatever of hops. If you look at cryo hops versus regular pellet, the cryo hops have a way higher AA%. If your recipe is shooting for a specific IBUs, then adjust accordingly to the AA of your hops in hand.

So in short you could use cryo hops in place of regular pellets, but you will probably use a lot less to achieve the desired result. They're supposedly able to allow you to hop heavily without getting any astringent or vegetable flavors. Probably overkill unless you're making huge batches or super hop bombs.

I too have used them in whirlpool and dry hop. I cut the addition in half vs regular pellets.

I like using them as mentioned in whirlpool and dry hop in small batches because it adds less hop debris to the smaller volume of beer.

Latest posts

Back