when to consider pitching two packs of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what OG to add two packs of dry yeast per 5gal batch

• never

• 1.090+

Results are only viewable after voting.

emyers

Reaction score
At what point would you consider pitching 2 packs of yeast per 5 gal batch is nessary?

Generally, if I felt I needed two, I would make a starter. There are times where I use two packs of lager yeast, plus make a starter on top of it to get to the cell count I want.

If I did not want to make a starter and was brewing a beer that was 1.055-1.070.... I would definitely pitch a couple packs for sure.

Maybe if they were getting old, I might use both at once.

Generally though, if you think you need 2 packs, what you probably need is a starter.

Generally, if I felt I needed two, I would make a starter. There are times where I use two packs of lager yeast, plus make a starter on top of it to get to the cell count I want.

If I did not want to make a starter and was brewing a beer that was 1.055-1.070.... I would definitely pitch a couple packs for sure.

Maybe if they were getting old, I might use both at once.

Generally though, if you think you need 2 packs, what you probably need is a starter.

Agreed. A starter is the way to go for big beers. I've read it's a good idea for brews above 1.055 O.G.

Ok well I guess I should have clarified. I purchased a box of us-05 and don't do starters. In fact I see no reason to do starters on dry yeast where each pack costs way less money and time than doing starters. This question is related to dry yeast packs.

I voted before I gave it enough thought. I feel that the 2nd packet would be needed once you get your OG to the 1.060-1.070 point. At that OG you probably wouldn't have any problems (as long as aeration is good and temperatures are managed), but beyond that you'll need more yeast.

Feel free to check a yeast calc like beersmith or mrmalty to be sure.

Dry yeast...... probably would not at all. Maybe for something really big 1.09+ or something. I would just rehydrate as instructed. Generally, no reason to make a starter with Dry yeast and usually no reason to pitch two.

But, look at the calculator from brewers friend, to hit the pro pitch rate for even a 1.058 ale, you come up short by almost a whole packet worth. Is this not reliable? Not trying to argue, just better understand.

View attachment 1421007406943.jpg

Brewers friend is definitely reliable. There are plenty of situations where pitching 2 packs of dry yeast is necessary. .060 OG is a good ballpark for upping the cell count. If you are fermenting at the cooler end of the yeasts range, more yeast is needed as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

But, look at the calculator from brewers friend, to hit the pro pitch rate for even a 1.058 ale, you come up short by almost a whole packet worth. Is this not reliable? Not trying to argue, just better understand.

For homebrew scale, I'd use the MFG recommended .5 pitch rate for the Brewers Friend calculator along with the researched cell density as noted a bit below the calculator. For my 1.065 pale, I'm dropping 2 packs of S-04. Using the Pro 1.0 rate, I'd need 3 which seems like overkill (especially when I've had decent success with 1).

Back