When to carb with gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
I have been using gelatin as a fining agent now for my last 3 beers. My beers clear up but I always seem to have floaters now. It's like the chill haze turns to pieces of dirty food in the glass. The chill haze almost looks better. Not just the first pint either. My procedure is to add 1tsb of gelatin to 250ml of water then microwave in short burst till it hits 150 then pour into keg with cold crashed beer and start crabing immediately. Should I waiting 48 hours prior to force carbing? My typical carb is to pressure to 30psi for 24 hours then drop to serving pressure of 8psi. I don't use a carb stone or shake it.

I do a similar procedure except I use 1/2 tsp to 60ml to a cold keg after purging I give it a gentle swirl. After 3 days 1st pint or two is cloudy then clear Nothing floating.

Are you letting it bloom first? Put the gelatin in warm water for 20 minutes to rehydrate before you heat it.

Are you letting it bloom first? Put the gelatin in warm water for 20 minutes to rehydrate before you heat it.

No it maybe sits 3 minutes before i pitch it into the keg. I have also not been swirling so that could be it as well. Will try both suggestions next keg.

Back