When to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigarcherynut

Reaction score
I'm brewing a batch of orange raspberry wheat beer. I used raspberry puree. I fermented about 10 days and the FG was right on. It has been in the secondary with the puree 8 days. Wondering how long for it the sit. I saw no action in the air lock so don't think it had much sugar in the puree. My wife and girls are getting anxious for their new beer.

You are ready to bottle when SG readings are stable over a period of three to four days. Being on target doesn't mean what you brewed is done fermenting. A recipes FG target is just an estimate. There are to many variables in brewing to predict an exact FG.

My OG was 1.047. After 8 days it was 1.012 and on the 10th day it was the same. That's when I racked it to the secondary with the raspberry puree. Didn't see any action in the airlock. Was told the puree wouldn't change the ABV so didn't think it would raise the SG up again. Do I need to check it again and see if it's still 1.012?

I'd bottle any time now. And your bottle conditioning time may vary. It probably won't be ready one week after bottling. It may be ready by two weeks. It'll only be better after three weeks. It may take longer for the flavors to balance, though...

I'd bottle any time now. And your bottle conditioning time may vary. It probably won't be ready one week after bottling. It may be ready by two weeks. It'll only be better after three weeks. It may take longer for the flavors to balance, though...

I'm planning on conditioning at least 3 weeks. Just wasn't sure how long to leave it in the secondary. I know my other beers get better with time.

Back