When to Back sweeten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger12pk

Reaction score
I was just sort of Mulling over the idea of backsweetening a batch of dry mead with more honey, when it occured to me that I dont really know the whys, when's, if's and how much of the procedure at all! If there a certain to do it? Im going to assume its when its finally still or you physically stop fermentation...but should it be done before adding sparkaloid?.....is it simply stirred in after racking off the final lees?

It's fairly simple.

Before you backsweeten you need to use some potassium sorbate to stop further fermentation.

If you just add more sugar the yeast will eat it up and produce more alcohol.

The problem here is after using PS you can't naturally carbonate. If you want it carbonated you'll need to keg it.

It's fairly simple.

Before you backsweeten you need to use some potassium sorbate to stop further fermentation.

If you just add more sugar the yeast will eat it up and produce more alcohol.

The problem here is after using PS you can't naturally carbonate. If you want it carbonated you'll need to keg it.

Thank you HB.....Im fine with the still Meads myself. But does it need to happen prior to final clarification?

Latest posts

Back