When to add table sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't add it to the mash. Chemically, you could add it anytime, but in order not to carmelize it from direct heat, the most practical time to add sugar for the sake of bumping ABV is at flameout AFTER the boil, making sure to stir the crap out of the wort to dissolve it.

The real question is, why are you adding table sugar? There are very few instances in which it makes good sense. What are you going for, just extra ABV?

It's for a cream ale and I'm looking to dry it out a bit.

I wouldn't add it to the mash. Chemically, you could add it anytime, but in order not to carmelize it from direct heat, the most practical time to add sugar for the sake of bumping ABV is at flameout AFTER the boil, making sure to stir the crap out of the wort to dissolve it.

The real question is, why are you adding table sugar? There are very few instances in which it makes good sense. What are you going for, just extra ABV?

Gotcha....yeah, definitely at flame out after the boil. Corn sugar dissolves faster, so it's easier to work with, but it's also a bit more expensive, and both are simple sugars that add the exact same net result.

Just be conservative with it. There is a fine line between drying the beer out and overwhelming the body with ABV, especially in a lighter style like a Cream Ale. I wouldn't add more than 1.0-1.5 lb per 5.0 gallon batch. 1.5 lbs adds about 0.014 gravity points = about 0.9 extra ABV, 1.0 lbs about 0.09 gravity points = about 0.6 extra ABV.

Anything past that, and you are going to have Rocket Fuel Cream Ale. I'd probably keep it closer to 0.8 lbs of sugar were it me.

FYI, you could also accomplish the same thing with honey, and get a nice subtle honey flavor at the same time. Honey Cream Ale sounds pretty tasty to me!

Good luck!

Corn sugar and table sugar are equally fermentable. I don't know of any good reason to spend twice as much on dextrose. I think you'll find that just about any sugar dissolves very readily in 200 degree wort.

I don't have my recipe in front of me but I'm adding about 1lb 5oz to a 10 gallon batch.

Gotcha....yeah, definitely at flame out after the boil. Corn sugar dissolves faster, so it's easier to work with, but it's also a bit more expensive, and both are simple sugars that add the exact same net result.

Just be conservative with it. There is a fine line between drying the beer out and overwhelming the body with ABV, especially in a lighter style like a Cream Ale. I wouldn't add more than 1.0-1.5 lb per 5.0 gallon batch. 1.5 lbs adds about 0.014 gravity points = about 0.9 extra ABV, 1.0 lbs about 0.09 gravity points = about 0.6 extra ABV.

Anything past that, and you are going to have Rocket Fuel Cream Ale. I'd probably keep it closer to 0.8 lbs of sugar were it me.

FYI, you could also accomplish the same thing with honey, and get a nice subtle honey flavor at the same time. Honey Cream Ale sounds pretty tasty to me!

Good luck!

That should be perfect.....that's not enough to change the flavor profile to a noticible extent, and will still dry it out a good bit.

Brew on! :rockin:

Apologies for re-visiting an old post, but I just started brewing and during a google search for table sugar brewing I came across this post.

I don't know if opinions have changed but I am getting ready to brew an Abbey Ale and the 5 gallon recipe calls for adding 10.6 oz of table sugar for the last 15 minutes of boil. They add it to get the gravity boost, but then the mash is done at 158 degrees which leaves more unfermentable long chain dextrins. The result is more mouthfeel but at the same time not "thin and cidery".

That's an interesting way of looking at it. My understanding was that with Abbey beers the sugar helps dry it out. They are pretty big beers and even mashing low they can often finish on the high side. That 10% or so sugar helps get them to finish at 1.007 or whatever the target happens to be.

I tend to add the sugar during primary fermentation rather than in the boil. The lower starting gravity means less stress on the yeast and the buggers don't get to gorge on sugar instead of malt. Plus for hoppy beers the sugar is useful to help clean up oxygen if you are dryhopping at the same time.

I'm no expert at these styles so take that for what it's worth.

Apologies for re-visiting an old post, but I just started brewing and during a google search for table sugar brewing I came across this post.

I don't know if opinions have changed but I am getting ready to brew an Abbey Ale and the 5 gallon recipe calls for adding 10.6 oz of table sugar for the last 15 minutes of boil. They add it to get the gravity boost, but then the mash is done at 158 degrees which leaves more unfermentable long chain dextrins. The result is more mouthfeel but at the same time not "thin and cidery".

Sugar/destrose added to boil will not make your beer taste cidery.

The sugar will dry out the beer a bit, but if you mash high, it will not feel thin. The sugar in this case is added to boost the ABV, so it is OK to add it in the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Just remember to stir continously while adding the sugar slowly, in order mix it well. Or take some wort and disolve the sugar in it and then pour it back into the boil kettle.

Back