When to add Spalt Hops to my Heffeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamdaph

Reaction score
I have an ounce of Spalt pellets that I would like to add to my Heffeweizen I'm brewing tonight. Not sure how to use them but I've read they are finishing hops. I'm thinking 1/4 oz at 10 minutes, 1/4 oz at 5 minutes and 1/2 oz dry hop in the secondary.

The kit is from Red Beaver and they don't list the ingredients (so you can't reproduce their beer?) so unfortunately can't tell you the rest of the recipe. If I had to guess I'd say 9 lbs of wheat DME, and ounce of unknown hops at 45 minutes and a sachet of yeast.

You should also know I'm planning on adding 1/2 lb of 100% maple syrup at the 2 minute mark to up the ABV some.

I'm mainly looking for comments on the hops but welcome your thoughts on the maple syrup as well.

i make my hefe's (1 of my favorite styles) 60-65% wheat and 35-40% pale malt. 100% wheat would be 1 sticky glob. they shouldn't be flavor, aroma, or dry-hopped, but i do since i love hops. i'd use 1/2 at 20, 1/2 at 5, and no dry-hopping. maple syrup? i wouldn't, but feel free; after all, it's yours :D good luck

It's your beer, but the late hop additions are off for a hefeweizen. It's all about showcasing the yeast, not having significant hop bitterness, flavor, or aroma. I love the hops too, but they just don't go with a hefeweizen.

And as for some unsolicited advice :D about showcasing the yeast, if you like hefes, you will be much happier with one of the strains only available in liquid form, like WLP300. The dry just won't give you authentic hefeweizen.

Back