When to add Pumpkin Purée?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
hello all,

I am brewing Smashing Pumpkin from Northern Brewer this week and I have purchased an extra 2lbs of 6-Row and a large can of Pumpkin purée. I plan to roast the purée and add to the boil. However, I’m not sure when I should add it to the boil and when I should add the 6-row?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Lorne

I boil the "pumpkin" puree for 30 minutes with good results.

Are you trying to increase the ABV with the 6-row? I think you should do what's called a partial mash or mini mash (if it's an extract kit).

Last edited:
Just did the Samhain Pumpkin recipe on here. Put it in the oven at 350 for 1 hour. Then added it at the start of the mash.

I believe that the 6 row is to help convert more of the pumpkin starches during the mash. If you're adding pumpkin during the boil I don't see any benefit to the 6 row.

I would add the pumpkin about half way through the boil.

I’ve never mashed before. Should I just skip the 6-Row. I only got this because of several suggestions in the reviews.

If you're not going to do a mash, then there is no point in using the 6-row because it needs to be mashed. My guess is they suggested it because they were mashing the pumpkin.

I have never seen puree into the boil, I use whole pumpkin 8-10lb cut into pieces and bake 400° until it is starting to toast up the edges then smash it, and mash it.

If you're not going to do a mash, then there is no point in using the 6-row because it needs to be mashed. My guess is they suggested it because they were mashing the pumpkin.

Am I screwing anything up by just putting pumpkin in the boil? I’m not sure I want to try my first mash on this recipe! Haha. I have no idea what I’m doing on that front. I’ve always just stuck with extract recipes.

Am I screwing anything up by just putting pumpkin in the boil? I’m not sure I want to try my first mash on this recipe! Haha. I have no idea what I’m doing on that front. I’ve always just stuck with extract recipes.

No you won't screw anything up. Besides, the "pumpkin flavor" really comes from the spices you use. That being said, if you wanted to mash the pumpkin, it's not complicated. Just get a large mesh bag, like a 5 gallon paint strainer, throw in your crushed grain and pumpkin. Heat maybe like 3 gallons of water to 155F and put the bag in there. Let it sit for 30 min or so. If you can, insulate the pot with some blankets or put it in your oven on the lowest setting. But even if you can't, you'll still be fine.

Lift the bag out, give it a good squeeze and add your extract and boil as normal.

I got my kit today. Honesty I’m tempted to just steep the extra 2 lbs of 6-Row when I step my grains since I’ve never partial mashed anything. Then adding pumpkin the last 30 mins of boil.

Any issues you foresee with this?

I am kegging today. I fermented in closed system with Spunding valve. Let’s hope all goes well. It’s very cloudy. I hope I can cold crash it in the keg before I add gas to carbonate.

Did you add it to the boil? The last pumpkin beer I made I added the pumpkin to the boil, it was the best pumpkin beer I made but it was forever hazy, I had the second half of those 10 gallons in a keg for another year and even after that long it was still hazy.

Sry late here. Add to boil for full time and transfer all to fermenter. Spice gives more flavor than the pumpkin. That said I lightly spice so pumpkin can come through. I have only done it this way and its always good. There could be other ways I havent tried. I am going on four or five years with full boil method.

Did you add it to the boil? The last pumpkin beer I made I added the pumpkin to the boil, it was the best pumpkin beer I made but it was forever hazy, I had the second half of those 10 gallons in a keg for another year and even after that long it was still hazy.

Yea I added it to boil last 30 mins. I roasted the pumpkin first and added spices. Good to know about the haze. No big deal. As long as it’s tasty! I’ve cold crashed it the last few days. I’ll start to carb it this week! What PSI do you recommend?

I added about 3 pounds of roasted pumpkin and 2 cans of pumpkin from the store for a 60 min boil. I put it all in a bag.

Turned out well but wonder how much I get from the actual pumpkin vs the spices.

Back