when to add peaches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Wyatt

Reaction score
I brewed a lemondrop sour on Christmas ( the wife got me a 10 gl gas one brew kettle had to try it out right?) As i was brewing i thought hell why not add some peaches to this. First was the nightmare of pitching my yeast (Philly Sour) and it didnt take off within 24 hrs. Yesterday i finally saw some action kinda excited about that. i already had some fresh peaches in the freezer from grandmas peach cobbler over the holiday. So my question is when is a good time for me to add the peaches and if so should i puree them. Also should i go ahead and add a campden tablet to them now while they are thawing out even though this is a sour and i know there is bacteria involved in the fermenting process?

I’d purée the peaches and get them in ASAP as Philly sour is supposed to make more peachy flavors when it has access to simple sugars. I wouldn’t worry about microbes on the peaches but heat pasteurization would do just fine. Has anyone tested the tolerance of Philly sour to campden tabs?

Last edited:
some fresh peaches in the freezer from grandmas peach cobbler over the holiday.
just to be extra certain, these peaches weren't literally in grandma's cobbler, were they? just checking...

assuming they're just regular peaches, add them ASAP. puree if you can, otherwise chop up relatively finely. spray/dunk all equipment and surfaces in in star san. personally i'd skip the campden, but i'm willing to roll the dice on that, YMMV.

Back