When to add orange peel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbama

Reaction score
I have a Holiday Beer recipe that states to add sweet orange peel at beginning of the boil. I have always read to add orange peel near the end of boil or even in secondary. Have you heard of this method and more importantly have you tried it? If so, was the effect pleasant?

I would think that the flavor/aroma, like hops, would be volatile oil related and boil off, certainly after 60 minutes.

I have always added in the last 5m or so, been disappointed sometimes and made a tincture of a few oz vodka and zest of an orange or two, soak a couple days, strain through sanitized strainer and add to keg.

I make a beer with homemade granola that has fresh orange zest in the mash and then I add dried zest the boil. It’s pretty subtle. I should add it’s got 100 ibu’s from equinox and eldorado so there is a lot going on in the beer. I think of it as building a base of flavors.

Based on smell as a guide I get a nice nose at the start of the boil then it fades quickly over 15 min. The boil addition is with 5 min to go.

My gut says fresh zest would fade in the first 10 min. Dried peel will last a bit longer. Unless you really trust the recipe I’d consider moving fresh zest to the last few min of the boil.

At the end for sure 5-10 minute mark

I added to mash once and it didn't really have any effect

Back