When to add hops in a DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHadack

Crafty
Reaction score
In the past my IPAs have been okay, but not really great. I am brewing today and want to make sure I really get the hop additions right on this one. Here's my grain bill, first:

6.5# Pale
6.5# Munich
0.75# Honey Malt

I have whole leaf hops of these varieties:
Amarillo: 4 oz
Citra: 3 oz
Centenial: 1 oz
Chinook: 4 oz
(I also have Bravo, Sterling and Crystal, but I am not sure those would be good here)
Also, I am currently drying some fresh-picked cascade hopes from my own vines, so those will be available at the dry-hop stage.

How much of each would you add, and when?
Thanks!

I'd bitter to 40-45 IBUs at 60 minutes with whatever you choose (chinook would be good), and then go with:
2 oz 15 minutes
2 oz 10 minutes
2 oz 5 minutes
2 oz flame out/hopstand.
2-4 oz dryhop

That grainbill will be pretty sweet with the Munich and honey malt, so I'd really hop up the late hops to counteract that.

I'd add 1-1.5oz Chinook at 60min or 90min.
15min: 1oz Amarillo & 1-1.5oz Chinook
10min: 1oz Amarillo, 1oz Citra
5min: 1oz amarillo, 1oz Citra
0min/flame out: 1oz Amarillo & 1oz Citra and do a 30min hopstand (whirlpool for 1st 10min if you can).
2-4oz dry hop with cascade

For the hopstand, you'll get even more incredible aroma if after the 30min hopstand you cooled the wort to 170F then added 1-2 oz of aroma hops again and did a 2nd 30min hopstand (and whirlpool during first 10min again). I had great results doing that for my last 90min IPA.

Back