When to Add fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn252

Reaction score
Was not a huge fan of fruity beers, but I had a tropical blonde the other day that was really good and want to try and make a similar one. The fruit was mango, I live in north central Nebraska not sure I can get fresh Mango, need advice as to when to add the fruit or puree in the process. I use a 27 gal conical fermenter so not racking to secondary.
Thanks for advice.

I have a Mango IPA fermenting now, based on a recipe that won an award a few years ago (not mine). For this, you don't need fresh. As recommended by the author, I simply bought frozen chunks then thawed them and pureed in a blender. Mine is a 5G (finished) batch and I used 6# of mango. I added the puree just after high krauzen. Here is the original recipe.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/880743/mango-maya-milkshake-ipa

I have a Mango IPA fermenting now, based on a recipe that won an award a few years ago (not mine). For this, you don't need fresh. As recommended by the author, I simply bought frozen chunks then thawed them and pureed in a blender. Mine is a 5G (finished) batch and I used 6# of mango. I added the puree just after high krauzen. Here is the original recipe.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/880743/mango-maya-milkshake-ipa
Hoping to keep mine clean, I wonder if I can achieve that adding a puree in fermentation?

If I had a conical, I would dump the trub when possible, let the beer get to within a handful of fermentation points remaining, then add the fruit, so it isn't subjected to the heaviest outgassing and its unwanted scrubbing effect...

Cheers!

If I had a conical, I would dump the trub when possible, let the beer get to within a handful of fermentation points remaining, then add the fruit, so it isn't subjected to the heaviest outgassing and its unwanted scrubbing effect...

Cheers!
What are your thoughts on why or why not to add at flame out or whirlpool, do you just not get enough extraction from the fruit?

^exactly so^

Fruit characters are usually modest wrt strength - a reason why a typical addition may approach one pound per gallon - and easily attenuated. Adding fruit to the boil is thus almost certainly the least "bang for the buck" method, while waiting until the major throes of fermentation have completed is probably the most effective...

Cheers!

I just kegged a 60%pils, 40% wheat brewed with Philly sour. 6# frozen mangos in a 5 gal batch added at high krausen. Then did the same thing with no mango for reference. Going into the keg it tasted pretty good. Mango was noticeable but not overpowering. Definitely enhanced the beer without dominating it. I’ll post tasting notes and pictures in a few days, if you care.

I added mango juice to my last saison. It was pasteurized, with no preservatives or added sugars (found it at costco). I added it near the end of primary fermentation, and it worked out nicely. Nice subtle mango flavor but all the sweetness was fermented out by the high attenuation saison yeast. But I would be curious to compare to frozen mango chunks too.

I also used frozen strawberries in a blonde a few batches ago (again, no preservatives or added sugars). After researching different options, I ultimately just thawed them halfway in the bag and then smashed them inside the bag without opening. I then let them thaw in the bag and dumped strawberry slurry into a sanitized nylon mesh bag and dropped that into the fermenter after primary fermentation. The result was great. Strong, fresh strawberry taste. Better result than I hoped for.

Oh, and used sanitized marbles to weigh down the bag.

Last edited:
I just kegged a 60%pils, 40% wheat brewed with Philly sour. 6# frozen mangos in a 5 gal batch added at high krausen. Then did the same thing with no mango for reference. Going into the keg it tasted pretty good. Mango was noticeable but not overpowering. Definitely enhanced the beer without dominating it. I’ll post tasting notes and pictures in a few days, if you care.

I would be very interested in the results of this. I am doing a cherry wheat for a graduation party. The parents wanted a fruit beer... I've only done one. I used 67% base, 33% wheat, fermented with a full pack of 05 and a half pack of Philly Sour. I've never used Philly Sour... I was a bit nervous about using it, obviously, which is why I did half the pack.
I would be very interested in the outcome, if the OP is not.... However, I do not want to hijack the thread. Is the sour really sour? like really sour??

fermented with a full pack of 05 and a half pack of Philly Sour.
From everything I’ve read, I’d be surprised if you get much sour. Philly sour is very easily out competed. Add the starting cell count disadvantage to O5, Philly sour may not get a foothold in.

Regarding the beers I brewed, I don’t have a PH meter so I can only go by taste. I think they have a great middle of the spectrum sourness. Not warhead candy puckering but definitely noticeable.

6# for 5 Gal. sounds like a lot but that seems to be the norm in my research. Wife says that our store has Mango so I will be getting fresh Mango chopping it and freezing, thaw, freeze thaw and add to conical - trub. Thanks for everyone's input again.

Finally getting around to updating this... I'm pretty pleased with how this beer turned out. The mango is definitely noticeable and complimentary, not overbearing. It has that true mango flavor that i have a hard time describing. to me its like this earthy/spicy/green pepper note that is distinctly mango. You probably know what i'm talking about but maybe perceived it differently. I drank mine along side Golden Road's (AB Inbev) Mango Cart and they're noticeably different. GR has a very pronounced sweet mango note that goes from the nose through the tasting finish. GR seems one dimensional and a little fake candy flavored where as mine tastes like a mango. GR is more pronounced as well.
IMG_3592.JPG
IMG_3657.JPG
s is mango flavored alcohol where mine is beer first that has nice mango notes. Not that one is better, its simply a preference thing.

Oh, one is definitely better!

But the amount of fresh mango InBev would need to do a commercial run is not 'feasible.'

You scored a homebrew win. Take your bow and keep on brew'n!

Back