When to add extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming that you have other ingredients like hops. You would boil the water, then add the extract, with your bittering hops, then boil for 60 minutes. Do you have a hop schedule that tells you when to add hops at different intervals?

No, no hops for this, it's a wheat beer and I'm using a Munton's extract can. I added the malt at the boil, thanks everyone. I always add a couple of ice cubes if I get close to a boil over, any better suggestions?

No, no hops for this, it's a wheat beer and I'm using a Munton's extract can. I added the malt at the boil, thanks everyone. I always add a couple of ice cubes if I get close to a boil over, any better suggestions?

Are you using pre-hopped extract? Otherwise, your beer will turn out to be a sour-sweet mess. The hops don't just add flavor, but also act as a preservative for the beer. Without hops, there is little to prevent airborne bugs from thriving in the wort, no matter how well you sanitize.

As for boil-over controls, there are various means available to prevent them, like Fermcap-S or the good old water-filled spray-bottle.

Are you using pre-hopped extract? Otherwise, your beer will turn out to be a sour-sweet mess. The hops don't just add flavor, but also act as a preservative for the beer. Without hops, there is little to prevent airborne bugs from thriving in the wort, no matter how well you sanitize.

As for boil-over controls, there are various means available to prevent them, like Fermcap-S or the good old water-filled spray-bottle.

Yes, it is a pre-hopped extract. It's the Munton's Hefeweizen extract. I've had a bad day, we had to put one of our beagles to sleep, so I needed a simple process to keep my mind still.

What kind of hops would be good to add to the boil for a hefe?

Thanks for all the help!

I haven't used a kit, but if it's a pre-hopped kit, you might not want to boil it for 60 minutes. That could increase the bitterness more than is called for. If it says to just mix it with water (bad idea), then bring it to boil and then cut the heat. But, like I said, I'm not real familar with these. You can also call the LHBS if they are still open and reputable. They should be familar with the kit and can help you out.

Right, I add the kit at the end of the boil for about 10 minutes to boil off any nasties, then chill using my coils, then top off to 5 gallons, pitch my yeast at 70 degress, and off to the primary for 10 days! Thanks for the help.

Back