When to add dry hops during secondary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hophead2u2

Reaction score
A double ipa kit that we purchased states that primary should be 1-2 weeks and then a secondary fermenation of 4-6 weeks. We are hopheads and plan to dry hop to achieve additional aroma and maybe a little bitterness, so we plan to dry hop during the secondary fermentation. I have read that most people do not leave the dry hops in for more than 2 weeks. When should I add the dry hops? Should I add them at the beginning of the secondary fermentation or at the end of the seconary fermentation?

Thank you!

My advice to you is take those instructions and toss em. I generally work my fermentation schedule around gravity and and clarity sometimes. There is really no need to secondary if you do not want to, everything at our scale can be done in primary, having said that I usually secondary for dry hops because I use a better bottle for the larger opening. Depending on the fermentables, yeast straina nd amount pitched and ferm temps, you could be ready for dry hops in as soon as 7 days, although I like to let my yeast clean up and drop out first, usually around 2.5-3 weeks. From there I dry hop, maybe dry hop again and the keg, cool and carb.

A double ipa kit that we purchased states that primary should be 1-2 weeks and then a secondary fermenation of 4-6 weeks. We are hopheads and plan to dry hop to achieve additional aroma and maybe a little bitterness, so we plan to dry hop during the secondary fermentation. I have read that most people do not leave the dry hops in for more than 2 weeks. When should I add the dry hops? Should I add them at the beginning of the secondary fermentation or at the end of the seconary fermentation?

Thank you!

First off, you'll want to wait until FG is stable over three days before transferring (regardless of what the kit says), and even then you don't have to transfer, many dry hop right in primary after achieving FG. But what I do when dry hopping in secondary is to place the hops (I use whole hops) in the carboy and rack the beer onto the hops. I leave it 3-10 days depending on what I'm going for, then bottle or keg.

8 weeks for an IPA is about 5 weeks too many, imho.

With good ingredients and techniques, a bit over a week in primary and another week and a half, tops, in secondary with dry hops in the last 5-7 days, followed by cold-crashing for a couple/few days, is plenty of time to produce a tasty aromatic bright IPA...

Cheers!

Back