When to add Apples...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to make my own version of an awesome wheat beer I had at New Belgium Brewery which was one of their employee brews during my tour. It's a wheat with apples added, and it's the only fruit beer I've ever liked.

Anyone else ever use apples? I'm adding 4lbs, cut and de-pitted. I wasn't planning on peeling the skin and was going to add them at flame out to pasteurize them.

Any suggestions? I don't secondary, so that is out.

If you add them during primary fermentation you'll lose a lot of flavor. So, although you don't normally secondary, this may be a time to go that route, even if you're just pitching them into your fermentation vessel after the primary fermentation is complete.

I've seen recipes that call for adding pear, and they always suggest blending the fruit down to a puree so that the yeast can get more contact with the sugar in the fruit. You may want to consider the same for your apples.

Oh, and you might ask NB if the employee would share his process. I've heard the folks at NB are fairly open with sharing info with homebrewers, and I bet the employee would be glad to help a fan.

I like your suggestion about adding after primary fermentation, but using the same fermentor. I'm just very wary of moving my beer more than I need to. Gonna shoot an email to NB now.

Back