When to add additives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
I'll be using some gypsum, PH5.2 stabiliser, and campden tablets for my first all grain brew. I'm just wondering as to when to add them. Presumably the campden tablets would be added to the water before starting the mash? Also, do I need to add any of these additives to my sparge water?

Thanks in advance!
G

I add 5.2 stabiliser to my mash water right before i add the grain. I've only ever seen campden tablets used to steralize wine must, I believe it'll kill your yeast. Gypsum will harden the water, i assume it's to mash with but i've never used it.

I add 5.2 stabiliser to my mash water right before i add the grain. I've only ever seen campden tablets used to steralize wine must, I believe it'll kill your yeast. Gypsum will harden the water, i assume it's to mash with but i've never used it.

Campden tablets are to eliminate chlorine/chloramine; they go in at the very beginning (usually 1/2 tablet per 5 gallons for the most common size tablets) and get boiled out of solution long before you pitch your yeast.

All of the above get added up front, before the mash. Campden very first.

Thanks Sumner H, so just to cap it off, Campden is going in first when preparing my mash water, and then the 5.2 & the gypsum to my mash temp water just before I add my grains?

Cheers

I also add 5.2 to my sparge water. Some say it's even more important to add it to sparge water. I don't know, but it doesn't hurt.

Back