When should you take the OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakester9999

Reaction score
I'm going to start AG brewing.

When should you take the OG? When you are about to pitch the yeast?

Should you take it when you have 7 gallons of wort before the boil? What do you do if it's too low?

Thanks!

Remember that temp changes the gravity. Take OG after it's been chilled and you're ready to pitch the yeast. I take my reading before pitching the yeast...but I know some people pitch the yeast and then take a reading. My deal is that I take the sample while I'm pouring it into the fermenter, so it's easier for me as a part of my brewing process.

I use a refractometer and take gravities during sparging, toward the end of the boil and just before pitching the yeast.

If you miss your gravity low with a 7 gallon boil you will pick up a few points through evaporation. If it is more than 10 points low (1.040 and should be 1.060), add DME or LME to bring it up.

As soon as I'm finished chilling down to ferm temp, I take a reading. Make sure you get your wine thief, or whatever, well sanitized.

If you want to calculate efficiency you will want to take a "pre-boil gravity" reading. but OG should be taken right before yeast is pitched.

i use a refractometer and take gravities during sparging, toward the end of the boil and just before pitching the yeast.

If you miss your gravity low with a 7 gallon boil you will pick up a few points through evaporation. If it is more than 10 points low (1.040 and should be 1.060), add dme or lme to bring it up.

+1

Back