When should i bottle my cider & how to carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey this is my first time making hard cider I have done about 8 five gallon batches of beer

I used
1 gallon apple cider unpasteurized
1 cup brown sugar
1 lb honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp yeast nutrients< learned that I needed this the hard way > had some rhino farts all better now :)
1/2 pack red star montrachet wine yeast

I simmerd 2 cups cider, brown sugar, honey and cinnamon to resolve ingredients cooled mixed it all in a 1 gallon glass jug
I added the yeast nutrients later and all is well with the farts..
I used a hydrometer and it came up with 1.083
Then I pitched the yeast gave it a shook and let it go on 10/21/2016
I'm planning on racking it this Friday

I want to know at which point should I bottle it? How long should I let it ferment? How many times I should rack it? And is there any good ideas on ways to make it carbonated?

Thank you for your time hope to hear back soon

1477979866678-977182850.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone has their own process.

Personally, I usually let the primary fermentation go until most of the yeast has dropped out of suspension and the cider is clear. This typically takes a month.

Then I rack off the lees into an aging vessel (there should be minimum headspace... almost none, to prevent oxidation). I then leave it for at least another month. That is about the first time that I would consider bottling it. (Some people will rack to a new aging vessels multiple times in search of clarity or in order to remove yeast.)

I bottle prime with honey or sugar, then wait at least another month before drinking. Although, the cider seems to continue to get better the longer I wait.

I don't think you can say "this Friday" as far as a racking date, you need to let the cider "tell you" when it is ready (when most of the lees have dropped, which from your photo does not look like it has happened). Experiment, and see what you like. Patience is the key, this isn't an IPA.

That cider is definitely still going. I agree to leave it a month, then rack to another jug, leaving as much sediment behind as possible.

If you're bottling, you need some yeast, but you should be fine after another month in secondary. After you bottle, you should let it condition for a couple weeks at room temp, and then cold condition for as long as you can stand it.

Thank you

I wanted to be sure. next batch I will have to add more liquid to eliminate the extra head space I just didn't want a mess.how much honey or sugar should I use? I have always used a beer calculator to figure it out before

I appreciate the help

The head space is ok during fermentation but not ok while aging/clearing (after fermentation is complete).

If you don't leave enough head space during fermentation you will get foam/carryover into your airlock.

That is about the same amount of head space i have for my small batch ferm's.

Thank you

I wanted to be sure. next batch I will have to add more liquid to eliminate the extra head space I just didn't want a mess.how much honey or sugar should I use? I have always used a beer calculator to figure it out before

I appreciate the help

As previously stated, your head space is fine for primary fermentation, but for aging you want the liquid level up to (or in) the neck of the bottle.

For priming, follow beer logic... I use honey or sugar as well.

As previously stated, your head space is fine for primary fermentation, but for aging you want the liquid level up to (or in) the neck of the bottle.

For priming, follow beer logic... I use honey or sugar as well.

Beer logic? Is that some time of beer calculator?

Beer logic? Is that some time of beer calculator?

Can't tell if sarcasm or not...

I meant, just use the same logical process that you would use to determine the proper amount of priming sugar for beer.

You can use whatever beer priming calculator you would like. I like Northern Brewer's: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

However, some will probably tell you that AB InBev has tampered with the NB calculator so that your home brew will suck, and you will be forced to return to drinking Budweiser to get drunk. [/sarcasm]

When using this priming calculator....there's no hard cider option....so do you select based on yeast style used?

Back