When should I add spices?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYrunner

Reaction score
I am going to brew a pumpkin ale tomorrow. I want to add some nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice. Should I add the spices at flame-out, just before I pitch the yeast, or during secondary fermentation? I would appreciate any advice along with the reasoning behind it. Thanks in advance.

add 3 min. before flame out. Sanitizes the spices but doesn't boil away all the flavor then sometimes I'll add some to taste in the bottling bucket, and by that time I dont worry about the bugs as much because of the alcohol present.

Just made Pumpkin Kit from AHS yesterday, They have you adding the spice with 5 mins left in the boil.

Made the AHS Pumpkin Ale on Aug 23 and added the spice pack at 5 min. I then added additional pack at secondary because I just happen to like my pumpkin ale to have a spicer side to it. I will be bottling it today. I will let you know how the flavor is.

Thanks for the replies. I will try adding them with 5 minutes remaining in the boil.

Latest posts

Back