When is too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Latamir

Reaction score
So, I reviewed a lot of information before buying my kit to make beer, and decided to make my own kit because I knewi would out grow the normal starter set.

I bought a Irish Ale and a Belgin Blond extract kits and have made them, and should be ready in 3-4 weeks. It almost seemed too easy to make.

My question is: When is a good time to switch to all grain? After reading and research on all grain methods, and the flexability in "expermenting" really draws me in.

The answer is up to the individual brewer...some never do extract, some never switch to all grain. If you are comfortable with taking the leap, then go for it. IMHO, it really isn't difficult at all, just a few extra steps and a need to be a little bit more precise with temps, volumes, and weights.

Especially if you were to try BIAB you probably have everything you need already.

/B

I keep watching videos on people using mashed, coolers turned into tuns, and all grains and that looks more appealing then use cans, boil, and wait. I need something with more effort. lol

I keep watching videos on people using mashed, coolers turned into tuns, and all grains and that looks more appealing then use cans, boil, and wait. I need something with more effort. lol

You answered your own question... You apparently need more challenge... that can possibly come from the grain, temp manipulation, and volume manipulation you can get from AG... I say you should do it.

Do you have a Mentor or someonr that can help you?
I think it's always good to have someone to bounce ideas off of and to learn together.

All I have is you guys... I'm in an area where homebrew if few and far between. I'll start a AG this week end and see how it goes.

I did my first AG on my own. You will be fine...just take your time, expect a longer than usual brew day, and don't drink too much while brewing.

All I have is you guys...

:drunk:

You'll have MORE than enough help from this forum! Granted, it will all be contradictory, and you'll end up paralyzed by too many opinions... :eek:

But seriously, it sounds like you're interested in the switch, so do it. AG is no big deal. And there really is a lot of good info on here. With enough reading of posts, you'll decide which folks are your favorites to listen to. Revvy and Yooper are just a few that I pay extra attention to.

Most importantly, have fun with it!:mug:

Just make sure you have a big enough kettle and you should be able to easily make the switch. Been pumping out some AG's lately and its pretty easy. Cheers from a fellow Okie! :mug:

The only requirement for brewing all grain is the desire to do it.

It's really not much harder than extract. Almost everyone who tries it ends up wishign they had done it sooner.

Just follow the rules:

Good sanitation
Proper fermentation temps
Proper amount of healthy yeast
Aerate the wort
etc.

There are many places to look for a quick refresher, and of course you will have to decide what method will work best for you at this time.

Back