When is it to late to add Black Strap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldies

Reaction score
I brewed a AG Porter last weekend that called for Black Starp Mollasses and I skipped it cause I couldnt find it. Well I found it tonight and am wondering if I could add it now? Any thoughts on how this could be achieved? Or should I just use it next batch?

I usually add it after primary fermentation.

Add it to a bit of water and boil it for 15 minutes or so, let it cool, then add to the fermenter.

Granted, I have only used it twice in my recipes. How much are you adding?

I have a 5 gallon batch of RIS I made over a year ago that still has a pretty strong molasses flavor, and I used 1/4 lbs. It was *extremely* strong for the first 3-4 months at least. Like, I couldn't drink one.

It calls for .13lbs. added at the last 15 of the boil. Maybe split that in half then hugh?

Well if you are willing to potentially wait for the beer to come around there's nothing wrong with it.

I mean my beer tasted pretty assy for a few months but then 8 months later people were praising it.

Molasses has a very strong flavor once fermented. I brewed a 100% Molasses beer a few months ago and am still waiting for it to be at all drinkable.

Back