When does beer stop tasting "green"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
I brewed a SNPA clone 17 days ago and it has been in the secondary for 3 of those 17. The color is spot on already and it is still clearing, I pulled a sample tonight to test and it just tastes kind of bland. I dont really notice the hops in the flavor or aroma.

Does the carbonation and aging generally cure this, or may it be a bland batch? Recipe was as follows:

1.0 lb. Crystal Malt 60�L

5.5 lbs. Muntons Extra Light DME

.5 oz. Yakima Magnum (Pellets, 13 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz. Perle (Pellets, 9 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.8 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 10 min.
2 oz Cascade (Pellets, 5.5% AA) aroma. 0 min.

Yeast : Wyeast 1056

I my opinion it stops tasting green 6-8 weeks after being brewed. Your recipe is fine and you likely need to be more patient.

Try dry hopping it?
Actually, if you don't notice the hops, aging it will tend to make the hops flavour even weaker as the hops stuff tends to break down.

To go one step further I think it varies with the style of the brew.

Carbonation is going to bring out that hops bite to your tongue. One week after bottling, while you are brewing another beer, try one twelve ounce bottle as a sample and let us know....... let the rest age minimum two weeks.

Thanks for the tips guys. Moved into my new place in July and recently became sorted out enough to really get into brewing, couldnt do much in the old apartment. Have a Boston Lager clone at 40F in my lagerator, this SNPA, and an oatmeal stout kit coming from Austin homebrew tomorrow afternoon.

Wife is going to kill me.......:drunk:

ive noticed that certain beers definately taste better, if not green, then at least very fresh. other beers dont come into their own for several months. i think alot of this depends on a combination of the recipe and the ABV. But i usually wait at least 2 weeks before drinking.....if i can hold out. ive also noticed dfiferent beers take longer to carbonate than others. some have taken up to a month, while my latest pale ale was fully carbonated after a week (ok, i cheated and tasted early....)

To me,...

beer always taste best when you're down to your last sixer. Must be that point when it's finally stopped being green.

The stuff justs tastes better the longer you wait...Even just holding off for 5 or 6 weeks as opposed to 3 can improve the brew immensely...

I brewed a small batch of Pumpkin Porter around thanksgiving..I couldn't find any recipes for P P's anywhere, just ales...so I didn't want to risk a full batch...I fiddled around with it til it looked like it's be a good recipe, then took it to one of my lhbs's and the owner tweaked it a bit more...

So I brewed it...and bottled it in some 22 ounce pet bottles leftover from the mr beer days... After the third week of bottle conditioning I popped one in the fridge for a few days... Tasted like ****e...

2 weeks later did it again...still tasted lousy...a couple weeks later and...."hmmm...not bad! I think I'll have another one just to make sure it was a fluke...nope, that one is pretty good as well."

I left them alone til last week...Nearly three months in the bottle and now the best descriptor is "WOW! I Made this!!! Too bad I didn't make a full batch!"

Sadly I have one little lonely one left...but I have enough now in the pipeline that I can leave it alone and see how it will be in another 3 months....or maybe longer.

I usually liken it to cooking...that certain leftovers; spagetti sauces, stews, chilli's taste better the next day or a few days after...like all the flavors marry together.

I've recommended to some n00bs to try this experiment. After 2 weeks in the bottle to chill ONE for 2 days...Taste it and take notes about the flavors, the aromas, etc. Don't panic if it tastes funny, just write down what you think.
7 days later do it again (at the 3 week mark).

Of course somewhere in here they should have brewed another batch of beer...Hopefully at the same time they moved their first batch to secondary...

Do it again at the 4 week mark, and if you're will power holds out do it for the 5th and 6th weeks... Then start drinking it, but leave one bottle aside and pull it out 3-6 months later along with the notes they took over the 6 weeks of bottle conditioning...Look over the notes they took while drinking this more mature beer.

I'm sitting here drinking a sweet stout that I brewed the day after Christmas...1 week primary, 2 secondary and it's been in the bottle since then. The bottle I'm drinking just hit it's stride, and it is amazing...The sweetness has mellowed some...and the hint of chocolate from the steeping grains have come to the forefront...both in the nose and on the tongue...This is the first time I've detected it...

Patience, young Jedi!

:D

Back