When do you start your dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
There are plenty of posts/information on dry hopping length and techniques but I was curious, how long do you all typically wait before starting your dry hop? If you are doing a 7 day dry hop then obviously you want to do it 7 days before bottling, but how early is too early if you are trying to turn a beer around as fast as possible.

I typically aim for 3 week primary on my beers and that is including a 3-4 day cold crash. If I was going for that 21 day primary as normal, I would normally start on day 11 but was curious on other people's technique.

I don't usually brew on a schedule like you seem to, so I'm pretty flexible about when I do things. I usually dry hop when FG stabilizes (usually a day or two after krausen falls) and then leave it for 7 days or so, cold crash, and keg.

My typical primary time is 14-20 days depending on the brew, then another 7 in the keg before I call it "done."

I let active, primary fermentation end before throwing in the dry hops. For most of my pales and IPAs, that's 7 days or less. But I'll often wait two weeks, because I'm patient like that ;)

Definitely wait until FG is reached & the beer settles out clear or slightly misty before dry hopping. I dry hop 7 days as well. You don't want the hop oils coating the stuff that settles out & going to the bottom with them.

What @Pappers_ and @unionrdr said. Just wait until active fermentation is done. Then, dry hop as it suits you.

Back