When do you start counting 60 min boil time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cank

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As I'm brewing my first Gluten free beer I was wondering:
When I turn the flame off to add the syrups, do I start the 60 min clock or do I wait for it to start boiling again?

On the same note, should I add the 60 min hop at the same time as syrups or when it starts to boil again?

How about when I add my immersion chiller to sanitize it at around 15 min, do I stop the clock till it starts to boil again?

Sometimes it takes about 10-12 min to get back up to boil.

I need this to turn out good for my wife. Wish me luck!

I start the count after the hot break ( when the foam that forms on top at the begining of the boil drops and fear of a boil over goes away) and right after the first hop addition. The boil time us really based on hop additions anyway and you want a good rolling boil for them anyway

I would say start the 60 min clock when the boil starts again. Add the hops then. Also, run some hot water through your chiller first, that way it may not stop the boil like it has been.

jflongo said:
I would say start the 60 min clock when the boil starts again. Add the hops then. Also, run some hot water through your chiller first, that way it may not stop the boil like it has been.

Pre heat my chiller. Love it!

Or just drop the chiller in at flameout. If you have something that is going to out live 200+ degrees for a few mintues, call NASA.

Or let it sit in a bucket of starsan for a couple minutes first. Saw an old episode of Home Brewer TV where Gary did that.

Or let it sit in a bucket of starsan for a couple minutes first. Saw an old episode of Home Brewer TV where Gary did that.

2 good options.

1. Pre-heat it with hot water, then put it in at 10 - 15 min boil left.
2. Let it sit in sanitizer, put it in at flameout, this could help it cool down faster, since it will go in cold.

You can skip all that by doing what Gary did,as he explained it. That's the whole point of the starsan dunk. It's in there toward the end of the boil sanitizing. No estra steps.

That's what I do. I fill my primary about halfway with sanitizer, then dump in the filter, chiller, airlock, etc. Then I have a sanitized chiller that I put in the wort at flameout. I just pour out the sanitizer water prior to dumping in the wort of course.

To answer the first question, I start counting at the first hop addition. Though I get everything to a rolling boil first. It takes a good 10-15 min to get 3ish gallons boiling on the stovetop for a partial boil, so I get everything going first before adding the hops and starting the clock.

I tried the Pre-Heating and it worked better (only about 4 min back up to boil).

I think next time I will use Star San then put it in right after flame out.

So would the step be:
1. Soak Chiller in Star San around 15 min left of Boil.
2. Pour Liquid Malt Extract at flame out.
3. When LME is dissolved insert Chiller.

Thanks guys

By-the-way, I think my first Gluten Free Beer Turned out good.
Now the game I hate - the waiting game!

I guess I start the clock when I see the first boil bubbles coming up. Not too picky about it. 60 minutes is fairly arbitrary anyway.

Back