When do I dump? (slightly more nuanced than the usual question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primerib

Reaction score
My marquette from last fall is coming along nicely.

However, I attempted a 3 gallon batch of second run/false wine off of the pulp which is not faring so well. From a sanitation perspective it’s perfectly sound, nothing off about it. From a taste perspective, it’s severely lacking. It tasted at best sort of harsh and vaguely medicinal from the acid blend i added before oaking, now after (over)oaking it just tastes like oak. It’s not something I could ever imagine sharing with friends or drinking a full bottle of myself. So I’m asking you all, would you dump, or bottle for the sake of science or just to have a few extra bottles of something alcoholic on hand just in case? It seems like a waste either way so just looking for opinions. Thanks!

eh, I'd just dump it, honestly. If you aren't going to enjoy it, why bother? You'd enjoy a $3 bottle of wine more than that, and its.....$3. Think of the lesson you learned! 2nd wines are a waste. For real, don't bother.

My marquette from last fall is coming along nicely.

However, I attempted a 3 gallon batch of second run/false wine off of the pulp which is not faring so well. From a sanitation perspective it’s perfectly sound, nothing off about it. From a taste perspective, it’s severely lacking. It tasted at best sort of harsh and vaguely medicinal from the acid blend i added before oaking, now after (over)oaking it just tastes like oak. It’s not something I could ever imagine sharing with friends or drinking a full bottle of myself. So I’m asking you all, would you dump, or bottle for the sake of science or just to have a few extra bottles of something alcoholic on hand just in case? It seems like a waste either way so just looking for opinions. Thanks!
I'd let it age for at least one year, preferably two.

I agree with Karn. Oak is likely to mellow over time and the acidity you might be able to tweak. What is the TA? You want that to be about 6g/L
If you have another wine that you might be willing to sacrifice you might try blending this one with the other - perhaps bench-testing first with something like 2 or 3 parts of the sacrificial wine to this one (and the sacrificial wine might be another second runnings to which you have neither added acid or oak.. and if you don't have a second second runnings until this coming fall , is your would be dumpable wine asking for rent if it sits in a carboy another 6 months? I don't think that I am being a contrarian if I suggest that dumping a wine is the next things after the very last thing you do with an undrinkable wine... What is undrinkable today may be a gold medal winner in a few years.

As long as it’s there in a bottle, it has potential. Aging could redefine it.

Latest posts

Back