When do I add coffee and how much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emgesp1

Reaction score
My next batch of beer will be my first attempt at all-grain brewing and I want to make a Coffee Stout.

Do I add it during primary, or secondary fermentation?

Also, how much coffee should I limit per 5 gallons of beer?

Thanks

I don't know the answer to your question off hand. However, try using the search and you should turn up quite a bit of info. I have read several discussions on that subject here.

im no expert on coffee stouts, but what ive read about is adding 2 pots of cold, brewed, good quality coffee to the secondary. ive also heard the same except to the bottling bucklet instead of the secondary, but im pretty sure the 2 pots brewed cold is about consistant.

I would think that you could add it pretty much anywhere. Primary after main fermentation has started dying down, secondary, or bottling bucket. There arent really any fermentables in coffee so you should be ok.

I dont know about adding it in the primary before the yeast has done its thing tho not sure if theres something in coffee that may kill the yeasts.

I'd recommend using a french press and a burr grinder to grind whole, freshly-roasted beans and make a great cup o' joe to add to your beer (probably in the secondary, but as to amount I have no clue). A french press is pretty useful to have and is relatively cheap anyway. If you don't plan on grinding your own beans that often, try to find some independent coffee shop and see if they won't grind the beans for you on site. Better brew it as soon as you get home though -- coffee grounds begin to lose flavor immediately and after around 30 minutes it's noticeable in the end result.

Latest posts

Back