When cleaning your mash tun...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
Do you take apart the ball valve or do you just flush hot water through it reason I'm asking is because I'm having a hard time keeping it from leaking and would prefer to just leave it intact

I have been brewing for just short of 3 years and just rinse my tun well. I think I will take the assembly apart soon just to see what is in there.

Since you are boiling the wort after the mash there is no risk of infection. Maybe something else gross is going on in there though.

Awesome thank you for the quick response, also if it does begin to leak again would that be a problem? I've set a timer for one hour and put the mashtun on top of a towel to see how much water it leaked and I feel like it would be negligible but that's just me...

Mine leaks a bit too. Once I set it up were a cup cought the drips, and it ended up being around a tablespoon. Not enough to concern me. I also agree with above, no worry of infection since it's before the boil

Mine leaks a bit too. Once I set it up were a cup cought the drips, and it ended up being around a tablespoon. Not enough to concern me. I also agree with above, no worry of infection since it's before the boil

You just made me feel a whole lot better about my set up glad to know someone els is dealing with the same scenario

I run real hot water through it all. I do take apart my false bottom setup

I just rinse mine with a hose, run hose water through the valve and dry it off with a dirty towel. This is my least favorite part of the day, so I am real lazy about it.

Back